“The Red Canoe is the best experience in Kauai”

Island Sails Kaua'i
More attraction details
Owner description: This is a unique activity on the island. Join us for an intimate experience aboard a 45 foot Traditional Hawaii Sailing Canoe, made by one of the young owners. The canoe has sailed throughout the Hawaiian islands, and provides an experience that even our kama'aina (locals) have yet to experience. The sail is an hour and a half aboard the sailing canoe, in which we tour all of Hanalei Bay and see the breathtaking landscape just how it was seen from offshore by the ancient Hawaiians. Our team is made up of experienced watermen and women that have grown up in and around the water and want to share this beautiful lifestyle that they have with their guests. The team is knowledgeable about the host culture, the making of sailing canoes, paddling and the ocean.
Reviewed 23 November 2016

Far and away, sailing on the red canoe is the best experience in Kauai. Being on the canoe is like a trip back in time where you feel connected to the ocean and alive in a whole new way. I loved that this canoe was a traditional Hawaiian canoe rather than a large modern boat with 30 other guests.

Trevor is an amazing navigator and was able to pick a day and time where the ocean was calm so we could take our two young children to attend. My son still says the "red boat" was his best memory of our family vacation. I'd love to go back just my husband and I for a couple's evening sail.

I can't say enough great things about Trevor - the most down to earth, chill, knowledgeable person I've ever met. I felt 110% safe with him. Go sailing! You won't regret it.

3  Thank Akemi D
in 6 reviews
"turtles"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Boarded the outrigger fitted with a sail and the fun began immediately. Jeremy included us in every minute of our adventure and regaled us with local lore about the waterfalls, mountains and valleys. We sailed out, dropped anchor and jumped in to snorkel. We saw at least 7 "honu" ( sea turtles ) including a baby one! My most memorable day of the 12 days I stayed on Kuaui. Congratulations Jeremy & Ivory on your engagement!

4  Thank Lee O
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Island Sails is one of the outfits you can find at the St. Regis Hotel. We did a private sunset sail on the outrigger sailing canoe with Jeremy. Incredible experience at sunset in the open seas. Thrilling.

5  Thank 707holly
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had seen these boats sailing around Hanalei Bay on a previous visit but it took a little hunting to figure out how to get a ride. I really liked the small boats, putting you right on the water with just a few passengers. I ended up driving over to the St Regis to find out more and booked a midday sail. While I prefer the water in the early morning, we were most interested in being close to the water and sailing rather than snorkeling, so that was just right for us.
It was great to meet Trevor and to be on the boat he built himself. This trip might not be for everyone, and if you are expecting the tour guide patter, you might be disappointed. For me, this was perfect, and I really appreciated being out on the water with someone who knows and loves it. Mahalo, Trevor!

5  Thank OahuTraveler87