“A delightful island treat - fun for anyone visiting or living on Kauai!”

Island Sails Kaua'i
More attraction details
Owner description: This is a unique activity on the island. Join us for an intimate experience aboard a 45 foot Traditional Hawaii Sailing Canoe, made by one of the young owners. The canoe has sailed throughout the Hawaiian islands, and provides an experience that even our kama'aina (locals) have yet to experience. The sail is an hour and a half aboard the sailing canoe, in which we tour all of Hanalei Bay and see the breathtaking landscape just how it was seen from offshore by the ancient Hawaiians. Our team is made up of experienced watermen and women that have grown up in and around the water and want to share this beautiful lifestyle that they have with their guests. The team is knowledgeable about the host culture, the making of sailing canoes, paddling and the ocean.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Sailing out on Hanalei Bay on a hand crafted sailing canoe was a magical experience. Ivory and Jeremy our hosts were warm, welcoming and a lot of fun. You will love every minute of this very special sail.
Mahalo

in 6 reviews
"turtles"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I are both traditional mono hull sailors and had never experienced a traditional Hawaiian sailing canoe, what a fun experience! We sailed with Jeremy and Ivory who both are a delight and full of information on the area and Hawaiian traditions. Viewing a sunset on Hanalei Bay is very different from the shore. One feels to be a part of the environment with the movement of the water, the wind, the seabirds, the turtles, etc. Whether you are a local, or a visitor, this is a must do activity for the whole family!

2  Thank Benjamin G
Jeremy L, Owner at Island Sails Kaua'i, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

It was such a treat to have you guys on the canoe with us! You're welcome aboard anytime! Mahalo for the review!

Aloha,
Jeremy

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I feel like this is a must do for anybody who wants to experience a part of Hawaiian Culture and history, as well as enjoy beautiful Hanalei Bay. The canoe was hand-built by Trevor, which in and of itself, is spectacular. A traditional Hawaiian Sailing Canoe allows you to experience sailing in a unique cultural way - a part of Hawaiian history that is still alive today. Learn about the canoe, how it is built, how these canoes are used to voyage in between islands, as well as the cultural history of Hanalei Bay and surrounding area. It's a cultural experience that the entire family can enjoy...or really nice for a lover's private sailing adventure. It's an experience you won't ever forget.

1  Thank daydreamer808
Reviewed 2 September 2013

While on our annual Kauai trip this August I had the misfortune of falling and splitting my head open on a lava rock. Luckily, Ivory, one of the Island Sails employees was passing by and saw me fall. Her response was immediate! Before I knew what had happened she had wrapped her wet suit shirt around my head, made sure I had people there with me and she went and got help. I didn't even see her face! She got help for me at the St Regis. The next day, after 7 stitches and a busted up knee, we went searching for her. They knew who she was at the St Regis. They gave us Trevor's number and he put us in contact her. Her response that day was spectacular for my two sons to see. She didn't hesitate to stop what she was doing and help out a stranger in need. I would sail with them any and every day! Thanks Ivory & Island Sails

3  Thank SuzyMathers
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Sailing with Trevor on his outrigger was the highlight of our trip. What a unique experience to have a guide from Hawaii share his passion of the water with our family. We had four adults and a 5 year old and 3 year old. Trevor was great with the kids and even guided them on his back in the water to see the turtles. Trevor is truly passionate about the island and exhibits the true Aloha spirit. This is an experience we can't wait to hopefully do again when we return to the islands.

1  Thank Natalie B