“Great dive with local guide”

Waikoloa Dive Instructor and Guide
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Personalized scuba instruction and dive guide. Dive when and how you want. Customized dive tours. Learn at your own pace. Private scuba lessons and certifications.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 11 March 2018

John operates shore dives out of Waikoloa which was very convenient for us saving a trip to the harbor of 25 miles plus. He first took us to Puako but it proved too rough for a shore entry so we drove down to Two Steps in his car at no extra cost. The journey took us on roads that we had not traveled on previously providing useful local knowledge. We had two great dives with just the two of us and John. It all felt very comfortable although getting into the water when there are rocks can be tricky. John helped us through this bit with helpful hints and a dose of humor. His local knowledge and personal approach provides a change from the big dive outfits. We recommend him highly.

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing time diving with John. Very knowledgeable guide and knows the best spots to take you! We got to see a sea turtle cleaning station and lots of other animals! I would recommend this to anyone who has wanted to scuba dive, even people who are inexperienced. John will make sure you know and are comfortable with the equipment and basics of diving. We would definitely do this tour again next time we come to Waikoloa!

Reviewed 23 January 2018

John was thoughtful and considered about the dive sites. Each one had a special feel. He was prepared, calm, helpful and knowledgeable. John pointed out features that I would have missed and didn't rush me when I wanted to stare at an eel or fish or watch the turtles. The site locations were varied - one in Puako, another by the harbor and a third south of Kona.

John had a strong hold on suitable conditions and made certain that we were safe waters in terms of surge/currents/winds.

It was really thrilling. If I get back to the Big Island, I'll look him up again absolutely!

Reviewed 3 December 2017

We would absolutely recommend John to any diver wanting to shore dive while on the Big Island. We wanted John to show us the ins and outs of shore diving on the Big Island in order to go on our own. What we failed to realize is our daughter, who has been on 30+ dives, had never shore dived with us before. We just didn't realize it going into the day. She was very apprehensive and John was extremely helpful in getting her successful in the water and comfortable. My husband and I have been on 100+ dives and are very comfortable shore diving. We appreciate John explaining the shore diving in this area in order for us to be comfortable going here without a guide. Highly recommend.