“Remodel didn't help”

Legal Tender
Ranked #10 of 48 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We've always had the worst experiences at the legal tender restaurant. Which is weird because we're polite eaters and generous tippers. This is the only place I've left a two cent tip.
So they remodeled and hired all new staff, we have it another try. Pro: the service is better. Unfortunately it doesn't help when the kitchen staff is so terrible. 40 minutes to cook breakfast, and to cook it wrong. Over hard eggs came out over easy. Medium steak came out well done. The wait staff is great and I feel bad for them. But I'm not returning to this place. Nine visits, nine terrible experiences. The bar has always been good though.

1  Thank cthulhurlyeh

Reviewed 5 March 2018

This place used to be the place to go to get a decent meal, but not any more. The limited menu they have now is more expense with fewer items. We ordered rib eye steak with shrimp, and when it showed up the steak was only about a 1/2" thick and the shrimp were half the size they used to be!! The when we and got our check, we noticed that they charged us 3.99 for the dinner salads that used to come with the meal as a salad bar. plus the service was terrible I doubt we will ever be back to this establishment!!!!

3  Thank Bill G
Reviewed 4 January 2018

Did our quarterly run to Wyoming for some special supplies, and decided to stop and eat this time. We asked where we picked up supplies about where to eat and were giving a couple suggestions. Ended up here, and we're glad we did. They have a limited menu right now because of renovations going on, but what we had was very good. For one person running the bar, and serving Tasha did a wonderful job. We'll be back for sure.

Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

We were having breakfast and one of the crew members grabbed a ladle by the spoon I told her that she would have to throw the food away and that she needed gloves she came back out of the kitchen with gloves on and flip me off then she came over to my table and got in my face and told me my hash browns were ready I looked over and the cook is laughing and demonstrating that he spit into the potatoes this is very unsafe and unhealthy I told the manager she asked me what do you want me to do so why I was leaving the same girl flip me off again and I went back to the manager again and the manager was laughing and said I guess I might have to send her home if you were there at this time go to a doctor and get checked out for any diseases

1  Thank Ben M
Reviewed 22 October 2017

This is a great place to grab a drink. My husband and I stay at the Dunmar Inn just so we can frequent this place. The locals are so kind and the service is great. The food is awesome too. If I am in Evanston, you will find me at this place!