All reviews lavender room she loves great hostess door county each evening cookies other guests baked french toast ship yard lovely home b bs each morning old victorian come home hot coffee private balcony little touches
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 October 2020

We stayed at the Garden Gate for a long weekend getaway as a couple. Robin was a warm and welcoming hostess and made our stay comfortable and fun. The breakfasts were delicious, huge, and beautifully presented! We appreciated that breakfast started a bit later (9am) than at other B&Bs since it made the mornings feel less rushed. (And if you get hungry earlier, there is coffee and cake available for guests by 7.) We stayed in the Lavender Suite which was cute and cozy yet spacious. Everything was very clean, and the bed was so comfortable that we didn't want to come home to our own soft and lumpy mattress! We also loved the B&B's walkability to downtown Sturgeon Bay and the room's private balcony for eating takeout dinners (during the COVID era). All in all, an excellent stay!

Room tip: We loved the Lavender room for the private balcony and tub, but the other rooms might be quieter (further from the road and shipyard).
Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 7 October 2020

As a newly married couple, my husband and I decided to stay at the Garden Gate Bed and Breakfast in Sturgeon Bay in August after LOTS of research. We are a young couple and weren't sure if we would like staying in an old Victorian home with different couples/parties in each bedroom. However, the Garden Gate had great reviews and we love the Door County area, so we booked for 3 nights on a whim. Upon arrival, Robin was so kind, courteous, and helpful. She helped us find a place to safely chain our bikes on the property, offered to help find restaurants or activities in the area, and was genuinely interested to hear about our day when we got back from our adventures each night. She even set aside time at breakfast one morning to watch our parasailing video when she had other guests' meals to attend to. She is an INCREDIBLE hostess - it's so evident that she is doing what she loves. Unbelievably, she is an even more incredible chef. I've never been that satisfied after a breakfast... My husband and I ate so much more (and so much better) than we ever thought possible on a trip. It was hard for us to leave at the end of our stay and we honestly debated adding another night just to enjoy the food one last time. As someone with fairly severe and unusual food allergies that require me to carry an epipen, Robin ran every meal and its ingredients by me to make me feel comfortable. I can't thank her enough for her kindness and compassion. We stayed in the Lavender Suite and really enjoyed the spacious balcony and the fantastic whirlpool tub. Truly, though, one of our favorite parts about the trip was the memories we made over breakfast conversation with the other couples and with Robin. I didn't think I would enjoy sharing my morning with others as a more private person, but was genuinely surprised and thankful for the camaraderie. We have no complaints and can't wait for another excuse to come back and treat ourselves to a stay at the Garden Gate! Thank you, Robin, for letting us be your guest!

Room tip: We recommend the Lavender Room - the whirlpool was a must for us!
Date of stay: August 2020
Reviewed 4 October 2020

This was our first time in Door County and a B&B. Our room small and cozy with a TV, fireplace, books and DVD's and the bed was very comfortable. Robin is an amazing and a very-friendly host. She has a refrigrator in the common area filled with water & sodas, microwave, tea, fresh coffee available in the morning and some dessert when you return at night. Her breakfasts are real treat! She makes delicious and very filling breakfasts and some dessert. She even gave us the list of places one should visit and to eat when in Door County. We really enjoyed our stay at Garden Gate!

Reviewed 26 September 2020

It is obvious from first meeting Robin that she loves to be a hostess. She showed us around the property, spelling out the amenities, like a shared refrigerator on the second floor, for guests, and stocked with sodas and water; cookies and cake available all the time, as well as hot tea, along with a microwave. Our room was tight, but made up for with a roomy bathroom, a ceiling fan, and windows that we could open for fresh air. The bed was very comfortable, and we slept soundly until the aroma of fresh baking muffins woke us.

Breakfast was very filling and delicious, and we were able to take away the chocolate chip banana muffin (SO tasty!) that my husband didn't eat. Since breakfast isn't served until 0900, we got a later start on the day than we had first planned.

The house is spotless. She is still able to serve the delicious full breakfast because she has enough room to spread out guests safely.

Reviewed 24 September 2020

My husband and I recently stayed at Garden Gate for 5 nights. We found our room to be very comfortable and quiet and the breakfasts were outstanding. The portions were large and filling; we did not need lunch! My husband, who loves sweets, thought the chocolate cherry scone was the best he's had! Drinks were available all day and delicious desserts every evening. The owner, Robin, clearly loves being a hostess and made us feel like family. She is very knowledgeable about the area and was glad to answer any questions. We would highly recommend to friends!