“Great art”

Charleston Civic Center
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We saw an art show here of the public school children in the area. There were some great art pieces here some of which if for sale I would have bought.

Date of experience: April 2018
"stage"
"security"
"messing"

Reviewed 18 February 2018

I have been to concerts at the Civic Center, but this is about the Municipal Auditorium...I am left unimpressed and slightly bothered by the experience.
First of all the place is nasty!
The bathrooms stank, and the only womens room I could find was in the basement. If there was another I couldnt find it and was rudely told by an usher to go all the way downstairs. Met a man coming up on the stairs and was told to prepare myself for the dungeon and he was right.
The concessions are in the basement as well and its a hassle if you have seats in the balcony, to have to go down three flights to use the bathroom or get a drink and then back up again.
And if that wasnt bad enough, it gets worse.
After going to our seats, apparently there were lower level seats the venue wanted filled, so they came around offering people in the balcony to "upgrade" seats. We had to relinquish our original tix.
Going down to check out the seats, we find people already sitting in them....and they were terrible seats!!
They had us trade good view balcony seats to lower arena corner seats against the wall, where we would have had a great view of the amps and the wall.
We requested to return to our balcony seats and finally were told we could....but apparenlty they had resold those seats or given the seats away because we had a group behind us commenting as to how they were supposed to be in our seats....seats I paid for in December......
This went on well into the concert.
People sitting there trying to enjoy the concert and ushers walking around with flashlights moving people from seat to seat.
And they were rude about it.
One guy was like a seedy street vendor trying to sell you something. Very annoying and unprofessional.

But I didnt move again and had a good view of the stage.
Beer, and other concessions as I said, are in the basement and a bottled water will cost you 3 dollars.
A beer will cost you 8 dollars, although, one member of our group was told 10 even though there was a sign saying 8, the crew member was trying to charge 10 and I suppose, speculating that he was keeping the difference....for those dumb enough to not pay attention.
So be mindful of that if you attend a concert there.
Overall, I was left annoyed by the whole experience.
I doubt I will ever attend another show at the Muncipal Auditorium, unless they make upgrades and move the concession to the main floor and upgrade the bathrooms.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 17 November 2017

My husband and I were here for the Chris Stapleton concert. It was easy to access from our hotel and the security was excellent. They utilized both metal detectors and thorough bag checks. Food and drinks were fairly inexpensive although there weren't many options. My one complain would be that people were very over served in terms of alcohol to the point of falling down, passing out, tossing drinks at others, etc. If you attended an event here that didn't feature alcohol, that wouldn't be an issue.

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank graciehart1
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Under normal circumstances this is a fantastic venue for concerts. Internally, it remains so.

However, due to construction entering the facility is a nightmare. Due to today's security checks and the incomplete entry areas..it is likely you will arrive late for your ticketed event.

Lines for entrance stretched over a block long outside of the arena...inside the arena the wait was an additional 20-30 minutes.

Promoters would be wise to await construction completion prior to scheduling additional attractions

Date of experience: September 2017