“Best BBQ's at the beach”

Jakes Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #41 of 1,570 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Six of us visited last night.

Fried pickles was great.

Everyone enjoyed their meal and had a good time.

Low noise level was appreciated.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went for an early dinner. I am not usually agreeable to BBQ but this place was a great find. We arrived at about 4 pm and they were not so busy. We were greeted properly and were seated at a table as requested. As I am not a BBQ person, I had a number of questions. The waitress, Tracie (who we found out later was also the manager). Was very patient and answered all of questions. I was confident in my order, the Miss Piggy, which was baby back ribs. It came with two sides Mac and cheese. The ribs were amazing. The BBQ sauce was just right and not over used. The meat feel off the bone effortlessly. It was so good u are the whole half rack. The hush puppies were perfect, crispy in the outside, soft and a bit sweet on the inside. The side of warm butter made the hush puppies heavenly. The Mac and cheese was ok, nothing to write home about. Elbow noodles with the taste of cheese, I personally like a bit more cheese. My husband got the baby back ribs and chicken wings combo with a side of Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. He enjoyed his meal equally. The service was quick and friendly. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a good meal and great service. Thank you to Tracie, for making our visit to Jake's one of the highlights of our trip to Virginia.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

This place was good, but I was not amused by the food. I love BBQ and I am pretty meticulous when it comes to BBQ and smoked dishes. We tried the Memphis style ribs, the Mac and Cheese did not have that soul flavor. We also tried the grilled chicken and it was not good either, the garlic toast was way greasy. I have to say that the service was very good!

1  Thank Janice A
Reviewed 10 March 2018

completely done with this place. after 3 visits and being disappointed each time, we are done. not giving it any more chances. terrible service every time, rude and inattentive waitresses, mediocre food, sometimes not even cooked all the way. never again.

1  Thank Courtney W
Reviewed 29 January 2018

Happened to wind up here for dinner and my first double-cooked brisket sandwich was really good. Hushpuppies were outstanding. Friendly folks and clean. Interesting to see on the map inside of all the places people have travelled from.