Leonardslee Lakes & Gardens
Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Lovely garden

Relaxed visit to this lovely garden as it was slightly cooler. The new Sculpture trail is a... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
OldMartyr
Crawley, United Kingdom
Lovely anniversary day out

We had not visited for many years and we were not disappointed. The grounds are immaculate and as... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
panik1994
via mobile

All reviews dolls house new owners rock garden courtyard cafe deer park full bloom autumn colours looking forward became members worked so hard spring garden wallaby enclosure afternoon tea elderly people open to the public sheffield park cake
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful and stunning gardens. Wonderful walks, with plenty of places to stop and eat and drink.
Wonderful day out with the family and all worth the money.

Date of experience: May 2021
EmilyG2673, Public Relations Manager at Leonardslee Lakes & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2021

Hi 182philg,

Thank you for the great 5-star rating. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your woodland walk throughout the spring gardens and hope to see you and your family soon for another spring/ summer visit!

Reviewed 28 May 2021 via mobile

Disgusting Customer service, I had day tickets booked which I was very excited about in December 2020. Due to Tier 4 I was unable to go and called was told my ticket would be valid to arrive at a later date, we then went into National Lockdown.

Last Saturday I travelled to Horsham, which is a 2hour drive from my house as soon as we were able to stay elsewhere for a weekend away and tried to go to Leanardslee Gardens.

I was turned away at the gate. I went outside to call and was laughed at by a member of staff on the phone as my ticket was valid in December. It was a bit like she had not heard of a pandemic or the Stay at Home order and was incredibly rude to me.

I have since requested a refund only to be refused and told that they accepted many visitors illegally during the Stay at Home order from UK Government and I should have managed to get there before the end of March.

I didn’t want a refund at all - only to visit last Saturday but the attitude and the dismissal of me stating I could not arrive in December (which I did inform them about) and the suggestion via email which I should have broken a National Lockdown to avoid being out of pocket which apparently many others they were aware of did!!

I have asked to escalate my query only to be told that there is nobody else to talk to and my request for a refund has been declined. I have never been treated like this and thought on Saturday this would have been lovely. Spend your money elsewhere! This company is thoughtless and unkind.

They finally agreed to extended my tickets a further month and I would be able to visit but as I am unlikely to be in the vicinity it’s less helpful. Could have been all sorted quite easily on Saturday.

Hi Gemma,

Thank you for informing us of your recent experience.

We apologise for any confusion during this unprecedented time as this is certainly not the level of customer service we strive for.

All day tickets are valid for 30 days and during the national lockdown we worked on a case by case basis regarding ticket issues.

We hope that you are able to visit us whilst the gardens are still in full bloom and apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 27 May 2021

Hi visited the gardens today 26th May had been looking forward to our first trip out since lockdown. All the beautiful colours and the fragrance of the flowers was lovely to see and smell. What was a disappointment was the lack of choice in the cafe no hot food on offer and it was 1pm when we went in so not late for lunch, only option was sandwiches which i felt was over priced for what it was my partner had a ham sandwich and said he didnt even see any ham in the bread.

Hi EAST50000,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent visit to the gardens.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed the gardens in full bloom despite your experience in our café. We are currently in the planning process of expanding our small kitchen in order to provided a greater selection of hot food available for visitors.

All sandwiches are freshly prepared by a local bakery and we will inform them of your partners experience with the ham sandwich.

Reviewed 25 May 2021

Brilliant displays of colour with plenty of blooms despite recent torrential rain and strong winds.

There were quite a few people around but the number of pathways and different areas of interest meant that this did not detract from the experience.

The restaurant and cafes were open with inside and outside seating - albeit with a one way system and social distancing in place. Disposable cutlery and crockery were in use due to Covid.

There were hot selections such as pasties and cold savouries such as individual sized flans and sandwiches, whilst there were plenty of cakes and scones. I suspect the full menu was not there due to the pandemic but what was there was very good.

Date of experience: May 2021
EmilyG2673, Public Relations Manager at Leonardslee Lakes & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2021

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for the great rating, we are glad to see that you enjoyed the spring colour in the gardens and the food options in the cafés.

We hope to see you soon as the gardens reach their peak spring colour in the next few weeks.

Reviewed 21 May 2021 via mobile

Although straight out of the Covid closures I had been waiting to visit the gardens for 2 years. Although the rhodedendrons etc and gardens were magnificent the rest of the gardens were disappointing

At the entrance was a blackboard with various points of interest throughout the gardens which mentioned some particular plants. On asking the reception desk and others where they wer located nobody knew. One is not allowed to enter the garden with one’s own food which I can understand which increases revenue to the gardens and reduces rubbish etc. However the catering facilities were poor. It seems to be all prepackaged food. Ie rolls and banquettes, and pasties etc with cake clearly manufactured elsewhere

The shop and plant shop was poorly stocked and presented

The staff seemed stressed and really weren’t welcoming

The other attractions included a range of chickens the eggs of which I believed were used in the food shops etc

This place needs a customer friendly makeover. It needs better staff training with a better approach to the customers, the shop facilities and provision needs to be improved perhaps with Liason with specialised rhododendron growers , better labelling of specialised plants and the chickens should be featured especially as they have several breeds perhaps with selling eggs to the customers and general presentation of keeping chickens etc by chicken enthusiasts

The development of the nw sculptures around the garden is a complete waste of money as it will detract from their beauty

In a few words the gardens need to up their game big time!!!

Date of experience: April 2021

Dear Cruiser05620647930,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and suggestions.

Due to the recent cold weather, many parts of the garden are taking a bit longer than usual to wake up and display their full spring colours. The cold weather has also caused a drop in the plants available to purchase in the Garden Centre; we hope the weather improves as we move into summer!

The cafés offer a variety of locally sourced produce that is sold on a first come first served basis which may explain the variety on offer when arriving in the café.

The sculpture park will launch end July and we are in the process of adding new sculptures daily which we hope will add to our visitors experience as they explore the gardens. This includes several monumental pieces, in harmony with the woodland gardens, positioned by the artist himself to create new vistas across the valley and its seven lakes.