All reviewshomemade winecar or scooterthe bussorgetomariagermanuphillguestsisland
Reviewed 12 September 2017

If you are looking for a true Italian experience, look no further. My boyfriend and I booked this last minute and had the most wonderful week at Hotel Villa Bernadina. It is a family run hotel in a quiet part of the island, near to Sant'Angelo. The breakfast is outstanding, everything is homemade by the lady of the house, Bernadina. They have their own orchards and we were served fresh figs every morning, along with homemade conserves and bread. We only ate there one evening but wish we had every night because the food was first class. Homegrown tomatoes, homemade wine etc.
Maria runs the front of house and speaks some English. They do speak German as well but definitely take a phrase book if your Italian and German are limited!
We didn't have a car or scooter as we were happy to walk up to the bus stop but be prepared for a steep hill if you choose to do the same. The bus stop is about 5-10 minutes uphill with buses around the island. A week bus pass cost 14.50 EUR. Alternatively there is the thermal pool at the hotel or you can walk down to the bay of Sorgeto which is at the end of the road (google it, it's beautiful).
I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to get a little off the beaten track and get some real rest and relaxation.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

Maria and the Bernardina family are excellent hosts! They didn't speak much English, but are fluent in German and of course, Italian. Their beautiful hotel overlooks the beach and is a 5 minute walk away from Sorgeto Bay. The hotel sits above the family restaurant which serves delicious dishes of Ischia such as seafood pasta and rabbit. My boyfriend and I felt complete bliss staying for one week here in our Ischia summer vacation.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mealear K
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

We hopped in for a short snack and it was a great experience.

I had a bruschetta plate (2 stacked breads with fish, tomatoes, spice etc) and my girlfriend had parma hams with melon and homemade bread, both tasted very delicious.
The owner (who was serving us btw) even treated us to 2 glasses of his homemade wine, on the house. He was very nice, talkative and fluent in English & German.

I highly recommend to visit his place on the way to the Sorgeto.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheRealJustinCase
Reviewed 24 June 2015 via mobile

The food was as good as one gets in south Italy. Very nice owner. We always got some extra fruit for free after dining. The place is beautiful, the view from the window is phenomenal. All vegetable, fruits, even rabbits are home grown. Great value for money.

Stayed: June 2015, traveled on business
1  Thank Sándor J
Reviewed 5 September 2014

We did´nt stay in the hotel but we come here for dinner many times in our stay in Sorgeto, Forio, Ischia. The food was everytime terrific, and the resturant and Bernardinas cooking together with the daughter Marias, fantastic service in the restaurant made every dinner special. The restaurant become me and my friends favorite. We stayed in the area for 14 days so we had the time for many nice dinners. Thank you, we will come back ;-)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends