“I was a guest so I clammed up”

Travinia Italian Kitchen and Wine Bar
Ranked #22 of 512 Restaurants in Newport News
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Contemporary American Italian Cuisine. Fresh handcrafted pastas, flatbreads, chicken, seafood and veal. Extensive wine list, gluten-free menu, patio dining. Catering and private dining.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

My sister's beau was treating me to dinner so I was gracious. The service was horrible and my father and sister complained. The wine selection was pretty good. The beau and I split a bottle of Malbec that was OK. Aside from the inattentive server (in a restaurant with many vacant tables) I ordered the Veal Marsala and was very disappointed. The sauce was ok, the veal was tough and bouncy although the portion was fair. The accompany dish of spaghetti was a bowl of pasta mush. Over cooked and the sauce was bland and unimpressive. My dad had the pan roasted chicken which he enjoyed very much.My sister had the Shrimp Mesina which she picked at. Very unusual for her. I can't remember what the beau had but he seemed to eat everything in front of him. It's a shame. Such a beautiful venue, my second visit and the service was equally disappointing.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

What a nice surprise Travinia was. I liked the casually sophisticated décor right away. Service was very attentive, extensive wine by the glass choices and delicious food. I had the prosciutto and fig flatbread with arugula, it was fabulous. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

I went on a recent Tuesday night when wine by the glass was half priced, which made for an easy couple of glasses of Champagne. It was a group setting and we all shared the “Italian nachos”, which were light and delicious, as an appetizer. For my main course I went with the Veal Saltimbocca which was really very good and I would highly recommend, if you like that dish. It came accompanied with angel hair pasta. The ambiance is quite nice and easy and our server was on the ball. This is a great choice if you are looking for an Italian meal.

Reviewed 6 February 2018

We have dined here on at least 3 occasions over the past few years, and we consistently get good food and great service.

This often times also becomes our go-to for when we have out of town visitors, since the cost isn't so prohibitively expensive, and the location is nice, and it provides a varied selection of entrees. Everyone goes home happy, which is a win for us!

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

The lasagna was excellent and my wife had Rigatoni and she enjoyed it. The atmosphere is upscale and enjoyable. Especially if you sit outside next to the fire pit to relax.