“A Quiet Break From The Heat”

High Sierra Bar & Grill
Ranked #5 of 20 Restaurants in Terlingua
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Searching to escape the heat and feeling a big hungry from our hours spent visiting Big Bend National Park and Terlinqua Ghost Town, we stopped here for some drinks and food. It really wasn't anything spectacular, but got the job done. We found perches at the bar, on stools that were about 4-6 inches too short. I could almost rest my chin on the bar surface without bending over. - Our bartender was somewhat slow and scattered. There were a large amount of glasses piled on the bar that needed cleaning and when another waitstaff pointed this out, the bartender remarked he was too busy to do them. ((Dude, when we walked in there was literally ourselves and one other occupied table with two people at it in the place.)) -- The food was great, though, and the drinks were cold and that's really all we were asking for, a place to waste some time until sundown when things at the cemetery picked up.

Not terrible, not great, just average.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We dined here in the after season. The food was excellent, fresh and tasty. The people were very nice. Our waiter had his first day and was still getting used to the routine, which made it a kind of hilarious meal. Nevertheless we enjoyed ourselves and the food.

Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

We went during the Chili Cook-Off so it was crowded; despite that only 1 waitress was on duty, so everythingtook forever. The food was pretty good (queso & chips, chicken enchiladas, & chicken fried steak). There was live music, but the band sang an anti-Hillary Clinton song (she's even not up for election and we came to Terlingua to get away from politics).

As bad as the service was, it was still better than La Kiva!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

Food was mediocre, service ok. It’s basically a bar with food almost as an afterthought. The chili was ok, nothing special. My quesidilla was burnt.

Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

I will start off by saying the waitress was the best ever! Super friendly and on top of it. I had the Ghost town Chili of course and it exceeded my expectations! The fries were fresh cut and perfect. The atmosphere what is comfortable and great people watching. When I’m in that area again I will definitely be back!