“Convenient to our motel (onsite)”
Review of Tivo's Restaurant

Tivo's Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 19 Restaurants in Terlingua
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2018

We stayed at the Long Horn Ranch for 3 nights and had 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners at Tevo's. The food was average. The service was very slow....waited over an hour for dinner. Our food server each night was very sweet and efficient but the owner / cook was less than friendly. A nearby table of customers was scolded for requesting an alteration to something on the menu. The location was good as the motel is a good distance from any other establishments. The location was Tivo's best feature.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

This is the restaurant side (432.371.2133) of the Longhorn Ranch Motel(432.371.2133), located adjacent to mm524, route 118. Not too far South on 118 is an un-noted stupendously steep climb, one that was easily the equivalent of the 12% grade on route 170 that had dumped me. In fact, the only indicator that it was incredibly steep was the extra-slow lane, added for uphill traffic. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to pedal my dully loaded (1/5 ton, including me) Doublevision up this incline, I began walking some of the gear (beginning with a 50lbs tool bag and heavy tent-tarp) up that hill. Fortunately, Righteous Ruthie motored by to assist me with bringing the rest of my gear to the crest.
Anyway, once at the top, Doublevision and all, I re-loaded it and began the descent. It looked unbelievably barren, but I was prepared, or so I thought. I was just about to pass up this motel/restaurant when gravity almost forced me down. It was a sign! I laboriously turned my long machine around on this 2-lane road and went back a short distance to the motel. Nereida, who co-owns the motel and is the 5-star chef, gave me a slot out back to camp for the dry night, and told me the restaurant opens a couple of hours later, at (17:00).
I don't usually stop my pedaling with so much Sun left in the sky, but I was extremely grateful to get off my Doublevision, write postcards, rest, and, much to my surprise, be able to get into the lovely swim pool for only 5 minutes before my feet began to numb! Regardless, of how much more cycling I might have gotten in, this stop was essential--an incredibly surprising because there was NOTHING in either direction for a significant distance which could help me/my body. I loved it, especially since I could camp and not pay very much, though if really needed, I could stay in any of the fine rooms available.
The greatest surprise, though, was the delicious meal in the restaurant. Not only does Nereida keep a tidy motel, but the (Mexican) plates she prepares are absolutely some of the finest I've ever had anywhere. She has absolute complete common and control of Tivo's; meals are only served in the evening and when she is present. (Sometimes she is on a mission, so call ahead!) I truly sated myself this evening, which happened to be Valentine's Day. Again, my hearty "Wheel of Approval!"

Reviewed 6 June 2017

We arrived at the Longhorn Ranch Motel after a long day of driving. (Tivo's Restaurant is connected to the motel.) To be honest, we were a bit surprised by the appearance of the place. There was a 'deserted' vibe that left us feeling uneasy as we hauled our luggage to our rooms. However, that all changed once we walked from to the front office/restaurant to eat dinner at Tivo's.
When I tell you I had the best Tex-Mex dinner of my life here - I am not exaggerating at all. I was blown away. The mexican food is obviously homemade - the tortillas, chips, red sauce, salsa, etc. I had the stacked enchiladas with red sauce. (Instead of rolled up tortillas with the filling inside, they stack the tortillas flat with the filling between the layers like a lasagna.) The red sauce was PERFECTION. I have craved it ever since. My husband had a dish that the young waiter recommended - I can't remember the name of it, but it was so unique. I believe it was grilled chicken or beef and veggies with red sauce and chopped up cucumbers on top of it. Whatever it was, he loved it.
On our walk back to our rooms we noticed several young people having a get together in the courtyard, as well as some older folks by the pool drinking beers and some biker guys hanging out outside their rooms. It didn't feel deserted anymore, plus our moods had lifted after that amazing dinner. We ended up taking lawn chairs around back of the motel (in the dirt/gravel parking lot) to look up at the stars. West Texas skies are about as dark as they get. After eating at Tivo's we had a new appreciation for the motel & it's strange 'ghost town' vibe.
Everyone agreed that Tivo's is possibly the best kept secret/most well hidden TexMex restaurant in the SouthWest.

1  Thank stayce33
Reviewed 24 May 2017

The best Mexican food! I've lived in Texas most of my life and grew up on TexMex. The food is amazing and different from what I've had anywhere else. The chili rellenos are amazing...best I've ever had! I stayed at the hotel on the premises and ate there several times. It was great every time!

Reviewed 3 June 2016

The food is good. Unfortunately, the continued unfriendly service prevents me from wanting to return. I have been here several times, and I have encountered the same unfriendly service each time but notice the waitress/owner I am referencing tends to be friendly with the locals.

2  Thank Jeff737800