Hotel Le Cocoon(Macot-la-Plagne)
US$139
Club Med La Plagne 2100(Macot-la-Plagne)
clubmed.us
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
Hotel Les Balcons Village(Macot-la-Plagne)
  • Breakfast included
Village Igloo Blacksheep(Macot-la-Plagne)
  • Restaurant
All reviewssoupattic roomdrag lifthalf boardno safe in the roomplagne soleilbuffet startersmall thingsla plagnebutton liftski lockersvelux windowpacked breakfastvaried and plentifulplagne centreswimming poolmain meal
Reviewed 19 February 2017

As a quick summary, this is a 3-4 star hotel that I'd highly recommend especially for ski-ing.

Some context first: We visited Hotel Vancouver in Feb 2017 as part of a skiing holiday booked via CrystalSki in the UK. I am a frequent business traveller and very picky and choosy about hotels. This is our 6th time in La Plagne out of 40 ski trips over the past 30 years. We travelled as a family of four, in two rooms, with two teenagers and had a half board option (breakfast and evening meal)

The hotel is billed as 3 star, and I'd probably rate it much higher. It's situated in Plagne Soleil, right on the slopes. There is ski in / ski out from the locker rooms downstairs directly onto a blue piste and thence to the Bergerie lift. I've seen other reviews saying this slope was steep but I would think that anyone with a week or so skiing experience would be fine. Alternatively, you could walk about 3 mins from the front of the hotel to get to another piste. Ski hire shop next door, and the hotel offers discounted rates including half price for 14-17 year olds which saved us a chunk of cash.

Rooms are of a very high standard. We had a twin and a double both ensuite. The hotel is one wing of a larger building containing some apartments. Rooms were clean, tidy, fairly new, good condition and felt nice to come home to after a day on the slopes. As far as I could tell, all of the rooms had balconies. Our room faced a courtyard. Rooms on the other side of the wing had a much better view over the valley. Each room has a ski locker in the basement. Note that there are no boot heaters in the lockers (an opportunity for improvement maybe?)

The hotel also has a sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and 10m pool. Unfortunately they were full of kids while we we there and seem to be shared with the holiday apartments in the same building.

Clientele in the hotel were mixed, so it wasn't all tour operators or people on package holidays. However this meant there wasn't much of an atmosphere and the hotel bar was empty most nights. Note for Crystal customers - there weren't many others here when we visited, so it wasn't a great place to mix and mingle with other families if that's what you're looking for.

We were on half board, and the food was amazing. Breakfast buffet was consistently broad with lots of choice. Dinner had a varied menu. We had two vegetarians in our party and there was choice enough for all. Very high quality food presentation every night, definitely restaurant quality. The desserts were also fairly amazing and changed every night. Absolutely no complaints, although I smiled wryly when I saw the toaster that was the ire of another review here. (I must say we never saw it being used, never mind a line of people waiting for it - there's just so much choice). Cereals, fresh fruit salad, yoghurt, cheese, meats, pancakes, eggs, breads, pastries, croissants etc etc. Dinner was varied - the meat dishes included steak, veal, duck. Fish dishes included sea bream, hake, cod, coley, fish stew, Vegetarian food was mainly risotto or pasta. Everything seemed cooked fresh.

Overall, the hotel was great and I'd highly recommend it. Staff were very friendly. Location is ok if you are skiing but the bar is quiet and there's not much nightlife nearby and most of the bars were deserted after 9pm. There not really much to Plagne Soleil other than apartments. Plagne Centre is a short bus ride away on the No 2 bus, or there is a bucket lift across the piste from Plagne Village (note that this closes at 8:30pm)

If you are choosing a room, here's a few tips: We were on the first floor above the restaurant and the noise of scraping chairs and tables resonated through the building structure disturbing us a little up to 11pm at night and on one morning from 6am as the staff moved things around to clean. I talked to the hotel Manager (hello Delphine) about this and the hotel are trialling some foam pads on the bottom of chairs and tables. This is a small thing, not a complaint - more of an opportunity for improvement/

Anyway - avoid the first floor (rooms beginning with a 1xx) if you can. A view over the valley would be nice too, so I think rooms x00 to x04 look north west over the valley, and x05 to x08 look south west over to Plagne Village while x09 to x12 look south east over the courtyard.

Anyway - this is a great place, we enjoyed it, and you will to. If you are considering this hotel, then wonder no more!

Room Tip: Avoid first floor if you go to bed before 11pm due to noise from restaurant below.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Graeme S
delphinelevancouver, Directeur général at Hotel Le Vancouver - LVH Vacances, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2017

Dear Graeme S,

I am so glad you appreciated your holidays with us. I am grateful also you rate our hotel as 4 stars instead of 3 (such as lot of our clients do) as we try constantly to improve the quality of service, food & beverages we propose winter season after winter season. Indeed, such comment coming from frequent business traveler who are ‘very picky and choosy about hotels’ confirms us we are on the right track. I hope having the pleasure to welcome you next year and count you as a new loyal customer.

Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

This was our second visit to la plagne and decided to choose the Vancouver as we like plagne soleil more than other areas in the resort.
Our transfer time meant that we arrived late - around 10.30pm.
We were checked in quickly and efficiently. The room was clean and large enough for all our snowboarding gear.
The bar was big with a good choice of beers.
We were on the half board option. Breakfast was ok. Lacking in hot choices and the bread had often ran out or was still frozen.
Dinner was a selection of starters and desserts, but only 2 choices for mains, which albeit were mostly delicious. I ended up with the fish option most evenings as I don't eat duck or veal, and they seemed to be on the menu 3 or 4 times. I did enjoy everything I had, I just feel more options maybe 3 or 4 would still be do-able for these talented chefs.
Our transfer didn't show up on time and the 2 girls on reception were brilliant in trying to help us sort it out.
Outstanding member of staff - Gabriella. Nothing was too much trouble she worked really hard and made all the guests comfortable and relaxed with her ultra polite attitude.
We loved the individual lockers for your ski gear. But could do with a couple more benches down there to get ready on and boot warmers, as they were still wet the next morning so had to take them to the room each day to dry them!
All in all a good hotel.
We will be staying again.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
delphinelevancouver, Directeur général at Hotel Le Vancouver - LVH Vacances, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2017

Dear Nikki S,

I thank you very much for all your very kind comments about our hotel, especially regarding Gabriella, who I agree with you, is very professional and a very kind person too. On the other hand, I am going to make sure the bread will not run out and be corrected baked. I am surprised you did not have the possibility to taste at breakfast the scrambled eggs, sausages selection, boiled eggs and pancakes which are displayed every morning on the buffet. We propose also to make omelet, sunny side up eggs on request as most our guests like American breakfast. As a hotel, which has a willingness to take a good care of its vegan clients, we propose different kind of meat or fish on the main courses every evening. I am currently working with our Chef on a la Carte menu, beside the half board menu, to offer soon a wider choice of courses to your guests.
Once again, I thank you very much for your feedback and hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

started off good they let us have breakfast on the first day even though we hadn't paid for it... and let us check in early. the man that checked us in was polite and friendly but lacked local information as he couldn't tell us the name of the ski slope that the hotel is on.

dinner was ok but they gave us a basket of bread.. after a few minutes we began to eat the bread. the waiter then got upset and told us off for eating the bread without a plate that they didn't give us.

bed was comfy and room was warm. no complaints about the room itself.

hotel bar was pretty dead but nice. breakfast is a but limited also.

there is a ski hire shop outside and it is probably a 1-2 minute walk to the slope.

would return again but I preferred other hotels in the area.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends

Dear Edward G,

I am grateful for your feedback about your stay at our hotel and pleased you would return. Indeed, as our night receptionist told you we do have main slopes map that tourism officer provides us with color levels (green, blue, red, black runs) and many others information such as luge track, cross country skiing track, village area ski pass, express cable car, gondola, high speed chairlift, chairlift, draglift, even difficult draglift, snow park, high altitude luge track, beginners area, ice cave, cross country skiing, natural ungroomed ski run, closing times of the main ski lifts, signposting but I am afraid not having all and every slopes of the ski area that the tourism information point perhaps could provide more detailed. I am so sorry you would expect more from our breakfast buffet as we try to offer a large product range of Continental (pancakes, French pastries and breads selection, jams, fruits, fruits salad, yogurts and curd) and American breakfasts (scrambled eggs, sausages selection, boiled eggs, cheeses, vegetables, dried fruits) as well as we are offering different juices (orange, apple, bio apple, multivitamins and grapefruit). We propose also to make omelet, sunny side up eggs on request. Regarding the plates, the waiter informs you that they were located close by the buffet for your comfort as you were eating your starter directly on the menu card and should not be very agreeable neither convenient for you. We are offering the English service (from the kitchen to the tables) only for the 2 main dishes (meat or fish) listed on the menu; for starters and desserts, guests can help themselves as much as they want at the buffet.
Once again, I thank you for your observation that help us to improve and look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed 22 April 2016

I have put off writing a review of the Vancouver Hotel following our recent skiing holiday. Not because there is anything bad to write, but because nothing particularly sprang to mind that hadn't been covered by earlier reviews. It is a bit like writing a review of a Travel Lodge in that everything was fairly good and pretty much what you might expect and anything that wasn't quite right could probably be overlooked because it wasn't really that bad.

The similarity with a Travel Lodge also came through in the impersonality of the hotel. It is reasonably big, well staffed, has decent sized public areas, is nice and clean, is well equipped and the general perception is of a well run business. It didn't seem a particularly "warm" place to stay but did seem an efficient place to stay. If that reads as being harsh, it isn't intended. Having stayed in numerous ski hotels and chalet hotels over the years, the hotels tend to form part of the holiday experience. The Vancouver just felt like somewhere handy to check-in, stay for the week and then check out again. Hey ho.

Anyhow, the rooms were nice, the food was nice, the ski lockers and leisure facilities were nice and both the restaurant and bar areas were nice. Service at meal times could be a bit hit or miss but nothing worth writing home about. The ski in / ski out works perfectly but, as noted by others, you wouldn't really want this as your first ever venture onto skis. In saying that, I think La Plagne really is a great place to go if you are learning to ski or looking to improve.

One frustration was the fact that the toaster provided for the breakfast buffet was a tiny domestic 2 slice machine. I know it sounds a petty criticism but if you have 50-odd folk milling around at breakfast and half of them are eyeing up some toast then even if most of them just give up waiting to get to the front of the toast queue it still leaves a dozen folk in front of you. However, like I say, if complaining about the toaster is the worst direct criticism I can come up with then that indicates it wasn't that bad. Infact, it wasn't bad at all.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jock33
delphinelevancouver, Directeur général at Hotel Le Vancouver - LVH Vacances, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2017

Dear Jock33,

I thank you for your comment and take note regarding the toaster. We ordered a bigger one to satisfy the numerous guests using it in the morning
Have a lovely year 2017 !

Reviewed 8 April 2016

we have just come back from a week at the vancouver over easter. This was our second visit in two years traveling as a family of 5 and with friends. we had one of the larger family rooms with a small kitchen and a separate double room across the hall. the rooms are all very spacious we were on the 5th floor which does not have lift access so you have to get out on 4 and walk. last year we had problems with the kids at meal times as there was one set meal or steak this has now improved you can choose from two main courses and a kids option everyone found something they liked and the standerd was high. you can also choose ice cream as desert at every meal or some very good deserts. the only problems we had were at breakfast where the toaster is to small and the tea bags are all flavoured did ask for normal breakfast tea bags, but they did not understand so i bought soom at the supermarket. the pool area is very good and well used. the slope next to the hotel i would not recommended for beginners as it is steep and can get icy

Room Tip: no lift to 5th floor
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family