“Disappointing first visit”

Hat Creek Burger Co.
Get food delivered
Ranked #372 of 761 Restaurants in Katy
Reviewed 5 March 2021

During covid and recent freeze we've learned to accept a good bit of quality, inconsistencies and other issues at restaurants and other shops.

Unfortunately, eventually we have to be honest with the business or they will not survive any resemblance of returning to normal.

With that said, I was eagerly looking for a reason to stop in Hat Creek from the moment I noticed it on Mason in Katy.
My expectation was to find something significantly better than typical fast food, better than Whataburger perhaps and hopefully in line with other local gourmet type burger specialty shops like (Pappas Burger, Hippo, Burger Joint, etc).

The restaurant was empty, I was only customer but it was around 3pm on Thur. The facility clean and well new looking. Several staff greeted me on entry, giving the down home feeling.

Menu split between breakfast and burgers and other. It doesn't have enough selection for my liking but you can build your own burger.

They do not have a hand held menu and cashier did not know if a menu was on website for people who have difficulty reading wall board menus.

The menu clearly shows an option for a side dish of "loaded totts" and the guy said they were smothered in cheese, seasoning and bacon.

I ordered 4 different signature burgers and 1 kids burger. Not once was I asked how well they should cook the meat (a big failure for a place with "Burger" in the name as star item).

The order was to-go to bring home to my family, it was packed in beautiful bag with several napkins, ketchup packets and plastic utensil sets.

OK, the "loaded totts" were major disappointment, I will try to attach a Pic here. At best, we received some old fries, warmed in microwave with a slice of American cheese (not Cheddar like menu said & certainly not smothered or totts). They did have about 15 decent size bacon bits on top, bacon has great flavor but not enough.
Any other spices or garnishing like garlic, parm or even salt and pepper were NOTICEABLY ABSENT.
OH YEA, THEY WERE FRIES, NOT TOTTS!

Burgers were fresh, hot and had double meat patti, they were supposed to have different types of cheese but all had the same yellow cheese that taste like American kraft singles, definitely not Cheddar or Swiss.

Burger meat was not dry, but it did seem like it was overcooked to me and really had no flavor. The pickle slices had excellent flavor, as did the diced onion & BBQ sauce, but not enough of the sauce.

The size of the burger was disappointing, I put ketchup packet in Pic to illustrate.
For $11 per burger (kids burger $4) I'd expect more.

Kids burger was equal to whataburger just-a-burger.

The people were very friendly, but I didn't go for people or fancy bags, I went for a great burger, to support a local restaurant (instead of a chain).

Obviously every restaurant should be judged over several visits, everyone can have an off day. I will go back at least once more in a couple of months to see how they progress but as of today it's a no vote for me.

Date of visit: March 2021
Write a reviewReviews (3)
Reviewed 13 November 2020

The drive thru service was amazing, very nice and fast... The food was amazing and the fries well you have to go and try for yourself.

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 3 February 2020

Hat Creek Burger Co. has great burgers. You can taste the high quality ingredients.

The service is good and the prices are okay.

There's a nice play area for kids.

We would come back