“A bit of a bite”

Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Elgin
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: First established in 1882, Southside is proud to offer Authentic Texas Barbeque and Sausage from the oldest joint in the state! Best known as the home of the Original Elgin Sausage, we're equally proud of our slow smoked brisket, pork steaks, ribs, chicken, turkey, and more. We've continued the same traditions of smoking quality meats over real Texas post oak wood with nothing but a simple dry rub and time for over 132 years. We also offer a fresh meat market & Blue Bell ice cream counter. We're a family friendly place that'll treat YOU like family on your next visit.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Came in right at lunch time, but moved through the line fairly fast. It is cafeteria style of get in line, order your food , receive your food, pay for it. Then go find a long table to sit at. I ordered the pork rib plate with corn on the cob and cole slaw as sides along with a bottle of A&W root beer. There is a tendency to use pepper here. The ribs were moist, juicy and cooked very well. However the rub was on the peppery side, almost too much. The corn was hard and almost tasted like field corn with pepper on it. Cole slaw was good , slightly creamy and a hint of pepper. I opted out of the bread and pickles. I think the price for the plate was a little high for what you get.

APRILwithSOUTHSIDE, Guest Relations Manager at Southside Market & Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your visit! We'll be sure to discuss the good (and the bad) with our leadership team as we're always interested in creating the best experience for our guests.

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

Have eaten there many times, today evidently not a good day. I had my usual smoked sausage, others had the smoked turkey sandwiches with sides

My sausage wasn't too bad, not sure if it seen the smoker very long, smoked turkey breast, most everyone pitched it, no seasoning, no flavor, the BBQ sauce, horrible, going to try another place now.

APRILwithSOUTHSIDE, Guest Relations Manager at Southside Market & Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. This is most disappointing to hear, especially from a repeat customer. We will be sharing your feedback with our team immediately to address and resolve any issues.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

We stopped in Elgin for a "mental health evening" recently and tried Southside... The food was good... The BBQ chicken and the sausage were real highlights. The brisket and turkey were also good. The pork steak was dry and full of gristle...not a real winner. The cole slaw was great, but the Mac and cheese sauce on that side was broken and not creamy at all. One overall comment...all the meats needed more of a smoky taste. All were very light on smoke. We were glad we went, but won't be rushing back anytime soon.

APRILwithSOUTHSIDE, Guest Relations Manager at Southside Market & Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Thank you for this solid, constructive feedback. We'll be sharing this with our team as we are always interested in providing the best guest experience. We hope to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Lived in Austin 10 years this time around and I cannot believe it’s one of the last of the few I’ve never been too! I was very impressed! I ordered 3 meat plate with brisket, sausage, and baby back ribs, beans, and corn on the cob. Not a huge fan of the sides, but everything else was spectacular. I also ordered a Dino Beef Rib, but my son and I were already full to complete-we did try it and it was very good too.
3 plates, 3 drinks, and Dino Beef Rib $89, I would return and recommend!

1  Thank Netza G

Netza - Thanks for the great review. We're glad to hear you can finally mark this one off your list, and plan to return. Until then, safe travels and happy eating!

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I stopped here on the road to Austin and had a nice lunch. Tried the Ranch Hand--a bowl of Pinto Beans and Chopped Brisket, with Onions and Cheese on top. Delicious. A nice combination. The Brisket is moist and tasty with good char. Reasonable prices. Plenty of Parking. Friendly staff.

1  Thank albebuc
APRILwithSOUTHSIDE, Guest Relations Manager at Southside Market & Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Thanks for the great review! We're glad you had a chance to stop in and we hope to host you again soon!

Been to Southside Market & Barbeque? Share your experiences!