“Good beers and fish and chips, disappointing tacos”

Hargreaves Hill Brewing Company
Ranked #9 of 30 Restaurants in Yarra Glen
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2018

We booked in for lunch on a Saturday. We tried a beer flight and the IPA. The IPA was pretty good. My benchmark for IPAs is a US West Coast craft brewery Ballast Point's Sculpin. Hargreaves version compared very well.

The fish and chips was very good. Crisp batter on firm Trevally fish. We were disappointed with the pulled pork tacos. The tortillas were of poor quality so should have been doubled up or fried, not served single and raw. The filling was fine.

We had a pleasant lunch. We were seated in the back room which also serves as the route to the rear garden/patio hence some foot traffic during our meal but not too disrupting. Staff were friendly. Service was just a little slow but not enough to be an issue as we were in no rush.

We'd go again but will avoid the tacos next time.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

We've been to this establishment a few times before. It has never been excellent, but reasonable for lunch if you don't want to pay winery prices and my partner likes the beer, and we've never had cause to criticise before. Popped in on Sunday lunchtime and had a very different experience. Okay so they weren't expecting us, but, before showing us to the table, they could have wiped it and laid it up. We were then "left to it" to decide on food, but not asked if we wanted anything to drink. Another group arrived in the meantime and their order was taken before us. After ordering we had to wait for a good half an hour before drinks finally arrived but still no food. When my partner's starter and both our mains arrived at the same time, we both felt that we just wanted to eat and leave - why serve at the same time? The calamari was okay; the mushroom, spinach and walnut linguine was completely covered in cheese and that's all you could taste, it was just too much (and I love cheese!); and the slice of butter on the steak melted and went through a crack in the board it was served on and made a nasty, greasy mess on the table (would someone please tell me what is wrong with plates?!). We didn't feel inclined to stay for dessert. I thought we had found somewhere good to go when we are in the Yarra Valley, but now I'm not quite so sure. I would think twice now about going back.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

I understand this is a brewery however being a local we are limited for choice when it comes to quality wining and dining in Yarra Glen. We came to Hargreaves Hill and was extremely disappointed. You do not pay $45 for a Savignon Blanc to get half way through the bottle to have flakes the size of a 5 cent coin be floating in your glass. After making them aware they stated this is normal however was told we would get a fresh bottle of a chardonnay as they only had 1 sav blanc on the menue so we thought that was fair, we were then approached saying because we had consumed half the bottle would be given 2 glasses. My husband and I found this to be unreasonable considering we had started on a savvy to be given the equivalent of a chardonnay which was not enjoyable. We will not be returning, nor will we promote this establishment.

3  Thank txl2
Reviewed 5 March 2018

Makes a great beer-centric interlude whilst exploring the Yarra Valley wineries. However, we struggled to find appealing choices from the menu and the dishes we chose were fairly underwhelming. The craft beers were somewhat hit and miss, some great ones and some not so great, probably best to avoid the beer flight and get a taste of the one (or two) that before ordering them. The friendly staff were appreciated.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Don't be put off by all the tables out the front, go in and ask for a table inside or out the back. Staff were very friendly, great selection of beer with a limited but relevant wine list. The menu was small but asked the waiter about the specials. Both our meals were great.