“Great Coffee, OK Food.”
Review of BooBoo's Cafe

BooBoo's Cafe
Ranked #4 of 4 Dessert in Mornington
Reviewed 4 June 2018

Had an excellent coffee here. Pleased to hear that they use bonsoy milk!
As a vegetarian, there wasn't heeaps of choice for me but thankfully a special of risotto was offered when we visited. It wasn't my favourite but still edible. Portions were massive! We also tried the rosemary chips which were amazing!
Our waitress was so friendly. We originally had a pretty pushy waitress and I was grateful that someone else later took our order but I will most likely revisit just for the coffee! I definitely understood that this is a new cafe and was impressed with how well they handled such a busy afternoon. Keep up the good work :)

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

I stop here regularly for coffee and at times to meet for lunch or grab a bite for the road. Generally speaking, I quite like it. Sadly it’s not perfect and some minor tweaks would mean for big improvements for this place. The staff are friendly, the male owner is lovely. And the young red haired bloke who makes coffee is my preferred barista. His coffee is really good. The bench that the coffee is served up on could use a wipe down between- I like your coffee but it’s a bit gross when it’s served to you with the mouthpiece on the lid carrying little crumbs and pieces of whatever is not wiped down on the bench. There is one female staff member who serves at the til, I often see her there in active wear. She is friendly enough but is distracted and often talks over you to other staff. Between that and looking like she should be in a gym rather than serving you food- it comes across as a little unprofessional. I also wish you would stop using a grill press to heat the croissants :(- the beautiful flaky pastry gets absolutely smooshed flat and destroys what makes this breakfast light, crispy and delicious!

Moving on the food is always nice. The salads are good and the dessert fridge is laden with yummy slices and cakes. The layout is relatively good and seating is comfortable with indoor and outdoor options. When it’s busy it is a little awkward waiting for takeaway coffee however and you always feel in the way of tables or wait staff. I like the peek view into the kitchen. The decor is nice as well. I’m a fan of this cafe and a return customer. If those few minor things improve then it will easily be Somerville’s best cafe by a long mile.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

It was our first visit, and we were made very welcome. Adrian is a great host. We only wanted toast & marmalade, no marmalade but promised to get some in for next time! Coffee was hot and we enjoyed sitting outside. There was plenty of room for everyone and as outdoor restaurant venues are scarce in Somerville this was a refreshing change. Definitely will go back again.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

Somerville doesn't have a lot of restaurants for a nice delicious lunch. Booboo's is a relatively new café and we wanted it to be a place where we could go often and have lunch. My father-in-law is 99 and enjoys a lunch out when he also has a doctor visit.

We checked out the menu and it had calamari and also flathead and he lives for fish. I catch a lot of fish and calamari in my kayak and I also enjoy it, but today I had the Wagu Burger. Let's start with the burger.

It was a generous serve with chips and salad. I am not sure what it was, but you couldn't cut it with a fork and it was difficult with a knife. It was tasteless and the texture was unpleasant. I would avoid it.

We asked if the calamari was in rings or strips and how it was cooked. Conner works there and he is an excellent host, but he doesn't know about the food. He said it was in strips but it was rings cut in half. He said it was dipped in flour and fried. It was breaded and probably defrosted from the freezer first. The calamari was processed and not real calamari. It remained uneaten.

My wife had the pear and beet root salad. It was all shredded and had no texture. Mushy was the word she used and she also didn't eat her meal.

We did share some desserts which were nice and the coffee was good. We had a vanilla slice and a cannoli.

Now for the service. While Michelle and Connor were attentive and friendly, the other two front of house staff walked around like they hated their job. They served food as though they were doing you a favour. My advice would be to replace or retrain them.

I want to say that I made a point of telling Michelle and Connor what my concerns were. Michelle is vegetarian and has not had tried the calamari or wagu burger so she was surprised to hear that it was disappointing. It is a lovely café with nice fittings and a great setting, just don't order the food. Sorry Booboo's, but we won't be returning. I have written many many reviews and almost all of them are positive so I apologize for this one. Hopefully the owners will take my comments on board. They are welcome to contact me.

The bill came to nearly $70. for the three of us and my wife only had a $10. salad.

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

I go there everyday do get my coffee from Adrian he does amazing coffee and puts a lot of himself in each one. It’s silky and amazing.

I go in a big group of 12+ each Sunday and they are just on top of it. The place is alway clean. There head chef Ken is an amazing and the food is good for money value.

They don’t spit bills but you can ask for a table number for each person buying food.

You know you go there too often when they know your order.