“Aunt Bessies Style roasties with the roast”

Dining at the Brigands Inn
Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2021

We visited a few weeks ago as a family. Firstly the welcome was nice, the place is nice and the local ale is very good. However I didn't really understand the barman taking his mask on and off and also taking my very young son whilst wearing a mask. I understand there's a level of concern but please when talking to young children take off your mask as they need to see it's not normal - no matter what anyone says - masks cannot be seen as normal by very young children.

Anyway on to the food. Half of us had a roast dinner and were very surprised to see that the potatoes resembled 'Aunt Bessies' frozen ones. I mean come on, surely you can roast your own potatoes?? It also tasted like the veg was frozen too. I would at least have expected roasties roasted in house. We also took the in-laws along and I don't think we'll be taking them there again unless the food quality is bettered.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (228)

Reviewed 19 August 2021 via mobile

Had a delicious meal as a family. Steak burgers were excellent, gammon too and a generous child's meal. Couldn't fault the food or the service.

Reviewed 6 August 2021 via mobile

Our visit was unplanned, we were walking the Cambrian Way and came down from the mountains in need of sustenance. We dropped in, speculatively, between breakfast and lunch service. Everyone we met there could not have been more helpful. Much to our surprise we were able to get a full, cooked breakfast. The breakfast was absolutely lovely, great produce, beautifully cooked.
Hopefully we’ll be able to return and enjoy all that this lovely place has to offer.

Reviewed 2 August 2021

I seldom leave poor feedback as I work in the industry myself, and know how damaging bad reviews can be. But I strongly feel the Brigands Inn need to re evaluate and assess their level of service and food.

Firstly, we weren't greeted. We were shown to a table in a quiet, empty room by a timid and shy girl. Was very quickly asked before we sat down "do you want a drink while in stood here". We ordered some drinks and she left to fetch them.

Looked at the menu and the first thing that caught my eye was the ribeye steak that was £28! And almost £34 if I wanted it with sauce and onion rings! I am a steak lover but I gave this a wide birth as I would just about pay this for a fillet steak in a pub setting.

Me and my partner both had the scallops starter. When they arrived, we were presented with 3 tiny scallops, a minute smear of mushy peas and some bacon bits that per dish didn't equate to a rasher! This was advertised as £9.50 on the menu but we were charged £10.50 on our bill. In my opinion, £10.50 for this tiny, bland and tasteless dish was criminal, my partner agreed. When the plates were cleared, we weren't even asked how they were. The waitress just collected the plates and walked off.

Then our main courses arrived. My partner had the beef which she said was nice and I had the belly pork. The menu stated the belly pork came with roasted veg, roast potatoes, crackling and gravy. When I begun eating, I quickly realised my veg was swimming with onions and i had to check the menu to see if this was stated as I have a bad intolerance to onions generally, the menu said nothing of the sort. On top of this, the belly pork was missing the crackling and the meat was soft and tasteless slices of pork. I sent it back explaining that I could of become ill from the onions that came with no warning and the waitress couldn't of cared less, she offered me the same dish without onions that I refused as the damage was done and I was no longer hungry.

When we asked for the bill, nobody apologised. Neither did they ask if everything else was okay. Took my money which was over £50 despite them removing my main course from the bill and nothing more was said.

Go to the Cross foxes 10 minutes up the road, I will never return to the Briggand Inn again. Worst food experience I've ever sat through. And the service was just non existent. The prices don't justify the establishment and it feels as if they've upped their prices to cater to the vast volume of passers by on the A470. I have eaten in mitchellin star resteraunts for similar prices if not cheaper.

4  Thank Al1169
Reviewed 14 July 2021

We stopped for lunch on the way to Aberdovey. Lovely lady served us at the bar and the young man who delivered the food was very pleasant. Beer was very good. The food on the other hand was poor. The mackerel and beetroot salad was just passable, although the beetroot was cheap quality and 'woody' and the salad leaves were tired and listless. At £7.50 not bad value though. I'd have given that 3, but the hot beef and horse radish sandwich served on flabby white supermarket style cheap bread - the sort that gets stuck to the roof of your mouth - and a handful of chips that looked like they'd been warmed up from the day before with the same tired salad leaves. - cost £9.50 - earned no points at all from my other half. He did voice his opinion to the nice young man who had delivered the food, but no apology was offered and nobody bothered to come out to placate us.
Ah well, despite the convenience of this place on our journeys into Wales, and despite the excellent pint of Butty Bach, we will definitely not be returning. Perhaps Covid has meant they've had to cut back on costs, but serving food of this poor quality isn't going to pull the Brigands out of the doldrums!

Date of visit: July 2021