“Authentic and delicious soul food”

Alcenia's Desserts & Preserves
Ranked #78 of 1,581 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and the food is to die for. We went for Saturday brunch and it was super crowded. It took forever to get our meal, but we sat and enjoyed our surroundings. Have a small snack before you go if you’re hungry, but don’t fill up.

The lady doing all the serving came out and asked everyone where they were from at one point, and after that we had people coming over to our table and welcoming us to Memphis. The whole experience was delightful from the moment we stepped inside. And when our food came...well, my husband can’t stop talking about it. Fantastic!

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I have no clue how Alcenia's isn't the #1 place to eat in Memphis; I'm an eater, and it was 'that good'!!!! It was soooooo good. How good? I still think about the meal we had! We shared some catfish (it was done perfectly!) with black-eyed peas and okra. Sweet potatoes were like no other. And then the egg pie....mmmmmmmm...I'd never heard of nor had egg pie (I'm from WI FYI) and I may go back to Memphis just for that pie.

Alcenia herself was there and was so warm and crazy welcoming. She came over to hug and kiss us, which at first totally threw me off (see above-from WI-we don't go around hugging and kissing people we don't know that often lol) but instantly melted me in to the vibe of her place as well as of Memphis.

Please, go. Your belly and soul will thank you!!!

1  Thank Jeanne P
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

We ate here today and eat here often. Ms. BJ is simply the best inside and out. Eat anything, eat everything and save room for the bread pudding. OMG- It’s perfection! Fried chicken, blackened fish, pork chops, yams, real mac n cheese, rice n gravy, meatless spaghetti, greens,... I better stop it’s making me hungry! Get Ms BJ’s latest cookbook on sale at the counter and she’ll let you in on her secrets and share her story. My favorite place anywhere.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

Just came across this restaurant while walking to the pyramid on our last day in Memphis. Just a small shop front but decided to try it - so glad we did.The ladies in the shop were very welcoming and Alcenia herself came over to talk to us and recommend which food to try . I tried the Tilapia fish which I hadn't had before and it was freshly cooked and arrived with corn bread and green beans and was absolutely delicious . Only comment was the food was served in polystyrene boxes which seemed a bit strange as we were eating in- would have liked a plate, but very handy if you wanted it to go. Just sorry we only found this place on our last day as would have visiting again

1  Thank willow20
Reviewed 15 November 2017

This restaurant definitely deserves more than 5 stars!!! I can't believe I've never heard about this place!! I was invited out by a friend for Downtown dining week, which the menu only consisted of certain items and we were able to select an appetizer, entree, and dessert (ALL FOR $20.17 + TAX). We had reservations for 6pm, and it wasn't crowded. The ambiance was nice and quiet, but music was later turned on via jukebox. Our orders were taken immediately, and took about 15-20 minutes to come out. I ordered the fried cucumbers for my appetizer, and it was very scrumptious. For my entree I had the salmon croquettes, corn bread, mac n' cheese, and green beans, which everything on my plate was delicious. My friend and I both ordered the sweet potato cobbler to finish the night off with...you can't dine here without ordering this dessert!!! This cobbler gave me life!!! We were so stuffed.

I also met the sweetest person ever!!! BJ (chef/owner) has a heart of gold!!!!! We had the most pleasant conversation, which made me feel motivated in a couple of things I'm trying to accomplish. Have you ever met a person that makes everything seems like it will be ok?!?!? She's a genuine person and puts love into her work!! XOXOXOXOXOXO