Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from US$55.28
from US$491.38
from US$491.38
2,397 results
All reviews swan pond culzean castle walled garden national trust country park deer park adventure playground well worth a visit beautiful grounds home farm the cliff the kitchen all ages coffee shop play area great place to visit sunny day
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 May 2021

We were staying close by for a couple of nights and headed down here for a walk with the dogs. We were stopped at the barrier and told it would be £26 for access for 2 adults, we were confused as I had previously read it was free to wander around the park. We asked what the payment was for as I was confused if this price was access to the castle which we didn't want. The guy just laughed in our faces and went on to explain in a patronising manner that it is a nationl trust and the castle costs millions every year to maintain etc etc. His attitude was disgusting and we were made to feel cheap and stupid for asking the question. At that point we should have turned around and found somewhere else but regrettably we paid and entered the park.

The grounds are lovely and well maintained so we wouldn't mind having to pay a small fee just to walk around but £26 was extortionate considering nothing was open. We were there for about 2 hours walking the dogs and only came across one bin which meant we were carrying around poo bags the whole time. It felt like quite a snobbish place and felt we couldn't let the dogs off lead for a run around. It probably wasn't the right place for this so I'll do better research next time.

The experience was ruined by the member of staff at the barrier, he was extremely rude so regardless of how pretty the surroundings were we already had a bitter taste and we definitely won't be back.

Date of experience: May 2021
1  Thank TravelK3108
Reviewed 11 May 2021

4 stars as suspect there must be an easier disabled route from car park to castle. I asked at the payment gate about disabled access and was advised where to park, once parked we realised that we had to walk down a longish sloped path with beautiful views and then up a steep incline to get to the entrance. This trip was to check out the entry for a wheelchair user but this will not be possible unless there is another route in. Lovely clean toilets just outside the main entrance, very welcome.
The castle itself is magnificent, absolutely loved it. Great artwork, stunning Adams architecture and rooms laid out as would have been years ago, unlike some castles where they just plonk in loads of old paintings and china.
Inside the castle, the staff could have not been more friendly and helpful, lovely chap in the weapons room answered our questions fully. The weapons room is incredible, the layout of the weapons and the shining brass was amazing.
The carpets throughout were beautiful and in parts looked like wooden planks, a very grand oval staircase takes you up the different floors. In the dining room you can almost hear the chattering of people enjoying their meals. It feels as though someone is still living there.
On each level was a staff member willing to share their knowledge. There was a lovely girl in the kitchen who took time to explain and point out items of particular interest.
I especially liked the painting of the Lion and the Mouse which looms large on one wall, a great piece surrounded by smaller artworks.
Everywhere was exceptionally clean and fresh smelling.
The gardens we saw were very well kept but, we didn't see a lot of the gardens etc as this was a flying visit to check out the disabled facilities, I hope to go back soon when I can roam at my leisure.
My personal gripe is the high entry cost, National Trust always charge a seemingly high amount for entry to their properties and for me an annual membership is not something I would use, may suit others though.
It was a great visit and I would definitely recommend going to Culzean Castle if you are able.

Date of experience: May 2021
1  Thank Sally O
Reviewed 4 April 2021

Went here Today (Easter Sunday), bearing in mind nothing is open inside, Castle, coffee shop ( only take away), I was asked at the gate if we were members, which we're not, was then told it was £9.50 per person to enter!! Now whilst I don't mind paying that amount if I could avail of all the amenities, IMO charging that amount, to walk around a forest is frankly a p**s take. Even charging a nominal amount per car is acceptable, not charging the full amount. My advice, find other attractions in the area which are either free or less than half the price of this place. No I didn't pay, I drove straight out & found somewhere else for a walk.

Date of experience: April 2021
1  Thank traceysU1763LQ
Reviewed 29 October 2020

One of the most impressive castles in Scotland. Perfect destination for a one day trip. This place is beautiful, the gardens are well-maintained. There's a fantastic wooden playground and an adventure park.
We had the best muffin at the Aviary, spotted many wild animals around the estate.

Date of experience: September 2020
Reviewed 21 October 2020 via mobile

A childhood favourite in Maybole since 78 Scotland hols with relatives and good village below especially in winter

Date of experience: November 2019