Taversoe Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rousay
See available hotels
Albert Hotel(Kirkwall)
  • Breakfast included
West End Hotel(Kirkwall)
View Hotel
All reviewsmainland orkneyfish and chipscullen skinkfantastic viewscomfortable roomfirst classcareymealsseaferryislandsiteshospitalitybinocularsmilesfacilitieschickens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 12, 2017

Very nice hotel on the island of Rousay. The room was lovely with a modern and clean on-suite bathroom. It had an amazing view over to Mainland with a patio door and outside decking which you could sit on while watching the sea birds and a hen harrier fly past! The restaurant was good and the breakfast nice with friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeyYeah
Reviewed July 11, 2017

Rousay is well worth a visit to see the Midhowe broch and cairn which, unlike the similar attractions on Orkney 'mainland', are uncrowded and relaxing to visit. The only hotel on the island is the Taversoe which has only 4 rooms - so book in good time. We were expecting a good hotel but found the Taversoe to be better than expected - really excellent. Friendly and helpful staff, rooms recently renovated to a very high standard.Good meals, with a good choice, considering thet it is so isolated and distant from any main towns or shops. All 4 rooms have excellent views over the sea to the 'mainland' of Orkney.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms have similar (excellent) views but differ in size.
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2017

Journey starts with a 9 car ferry ride to island. Stayed 2 nights and drove round island twice in each direction! Great views. Stopped at beach to watch seals watching us. The Midhowe Cairn is astonishing and its site next to the Broch with terrific view of sea is one of best spots in world. Hotel is a great place just to sit and watch the sea. All 4 rooms have that view as well as the restaurant. Comfortable room and good food. Relaxed atmosphere and everyone v helpful. With mainland Orkney and its best sites getting busier this is a must do for anyone visiting Orkney for more than a day or two.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jigginstown
Reviewed June 18, 2017

As I planned my trip to Orkney, I knew I wanted to visit Rousay because of the abundance of archeological sites and I did not want to ferry back and forth on a daily basis. Finding this Gem was more perfect than I could ever have imagined. The Taversoe has it all - really. I was met at the ferry, 2 miles away, and whisked to the hotel. I was more than surprised to find such a lovely place and comfortable room. I had a deck overlooking the green rolling hill down to the water and the mainland across the water. The bed was comfortable and the shower perfect. I spent 4 nights.

There are not a lot of places to eat on the island but it did not matter because the food was fantastic at the Taversoe. I had the best Cullen Skink ever, hands down! Breakfast is included and is made to order every morning. Coffee is delicious. They serve lunch and dinner and have a small pub/bar frequented by the island residence. The soups are excellent as is everything else I tried. The chickens on property supply the eggs for breakfast.

The innkeeper's father, Paddy, runs the island tour, which I took and highly recommend. There is not a lot of public transportation on the island, but Carey, the innkeeper, will see to it that you are taken, or picked up, where every you want to go if you are without a car.

The beauty of the island and its tranquility reach into one's soul. The archeological sites provoke deep thought and contemplation into our past and the imagination wanders. Long walks, crisp air, dappled sunlight, excellent accommodations and food make this place a perfect retreat. I traveled on my own and felt perfectly safe. This experience will see me through the hectic days to come.

Room Tip: They are all excellent and face the water
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2017

We were not sure as this is the only hotel on Rousey. Warm welcome excellent food and the room had all facilities. Also a truly amazing view such that we had to keep curtains open all the time to watch for seals birds etc although there were reports of an Orca we didn't see it. The restaurant was very good food and breakfast excellent.
Rousey is a place that is not given the credit it deserves, if you go to Orkney do not miss Rousey!

Room Tip: You must get a room with the view across to Mainland.
  • Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple