“Excellent Community Pub with great food. J&L”
Review of The Drovers Inn

The Drovers Inn
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have visited The Drovers many times since it re-opened for both drinks and food. On arrival you are always greeted with a warm friendly welcome from both staff and locals and in winter a lovely log fire. There is always a good range of real ales which are always well looked after. Recently had Sunday Lunch which was excellent with lovely fresh local produce.The sweets are always very special with a different twist. Keep up the good work.

1  Thank lois-johnc-wimborne

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very friendly and a vast improvement on my previous visit when it had just re opened,The food was excellent mainly local & home made with good service.It was a cold day & so cosy inside with a roaring log burner.Between us we had 3 different dishes which were all superb

1  Thank Campiello9
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What a gem! A great community owned pub with superb service, nice selection of drinks and outstanding food. Excellent location. Highly recommended!

1  Thank TDGorn
Reviewed February 15, 2018

Although golden oldies we like to treat ourselves on Valentine's night, this year, after receiving marketing advertisements from the pub, we decided to support our fairly local pub. We have been going to the Drovers, throughout various ownerships since about 1980 and we supported quite a few of their fundraising events when the village was trying to buy back the pub as a community enterprise. I have also visited several times with my friend since they reopened but this was the first time I had taken my husband. The two stars are for the quality of the food, my fish as usual was delicious, and for the standard of service, which again was good.
My gripe was how we were seated. When you enter the pub the hallway is in the middle with a room to your left and another room to your right, separated by two walls. Everyone was seated to the left, as were the musicians. We were shown a table in the right hand side room. The room was dark, depressing, had a cold feeling to it, no character or ambiance and no decoration whatsoever to suggest it was Valentine's, tables apart from ours and one other were not laid, and we were the only ones in there, one other couple nearer to the corridor between the two rooms had almost finished their meal when we were ordering.
The menu was the usual evening menu, nothing special considering it was Valentine's.
We suffered a starter and main course whilst listening to the chatter, laughter and music behind the wall in the other room, feeling very much like unwanted guests at the feast, and becoming more and more fed up with the situation. I am not usually one to complain, I normally just suffer in silence, but when a lady came to clear away two napkins and the cutlery from the only other table near to us, which had been booked, saying "they prefer to be in the other room". That was the red rag I needed I said we would have liked to have been in the other room too, I told how horrendous the experience was and how we felt complete unwanted outsiders.
To be fair, she went and cleared a recently vacated table for us, and asked if we would like to go through, but to be honest after sitting on our own for an hour, we were so fed up, we asked for our bill and returned home for our dessert and coffee. The Manager reduced our bill by 10%.
Why, when there was clearly not enough bookings to fill both rooms, but one table too many to fill the one room, could they not have spread people around abit?
We have lived in Dorset for forty years now, and this is not the first time we have been to a village pub, and felt as though we were invading the locals' personal space, but it is so upsetting to be placed in a situation where you are totally excluded from what is happening around you, especially when you have looked forward to enjoying a nice romantic night out! AND more so as we had supported fundraising events to ensure the pub re-opened!
A very, very disappointing experience, and one that we will not repeat next year.

5  Thank finchiewimborne
Reviewed February 14, 2018 via mobile

As always food was tremendous and the beer great , wonderful staff and yet again a pleasure have never been disappointed

2  Thank Mark F