“Do not visit - the owner does not deserve your custom”
Review of The Crabshell Inn

The Crabshell Inn
Ranked #17 of 56 Restaurants in Kingsbridge
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The CRABSHELL INN is gloriously situated on the quayside in Kingsbridge and with its south westerly aspect basks in the sun all day. The Crabshell is gaining a fine reputation as an eatery of distinction with an increasingly acclaimed menu. The Inn is “child friendly” and children of all ages are very welcome…
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband’s, daughter’s and my meal arrived nearly 10 minutes before my 5-year old twins. When I asked the waitress where my daughters chips were, I was told to “they weren’t on this ticket - take it up with Charlie”, even though I was getting my receipt out of my handbag to show we had ordered and paid for them.
I went inside and spoke with a really helpful man who told me he was the Manager, but as we were talking we were interrupted by a drunk rude man “I’m the owner” who rather then listening to me kept demanding “what can I do to make this right what can I do to make this right” he either wasn’t able (or didn’t want to) listen to me and was quite aggressive.
To appease him with an answer, I told him he could “refund my twins burgers” and he laughed in my face and asked me why he would do that. I said “as a gesture of goodwill?” And he said “yeah free food - you would say that”.
I won’t go into further detail but the whole experience ruined my appetite - so much so I asked for a refund on the food I could no longer face eating. The drunk man repeated told me to “chill out - just eat your mussels like everyone else”, asked me: “is this about the money??” (Hilarious) and accused me of being rude to his staff, which was just a ridiculous attempt to try and justify his out of control behaviour.
In summary, my review of Crabshell Inn is its in a great location, the majority of the staff are really helpful and friendly, the food looked really good, I just hope you never have the misfortune to meet the owner, particularly if he’s had one too many as it blatantly doesn’t bring out the best in his judgement, ability to listen to his customers, or service. Overall very disappointing.

4  Thank NorthStar555905
Nomisworrah, General Manager at The Crabshell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Trip Advisor… the place for a certain type of people to be allowed to leave comments that are entirely their privilege but without any context quite inappropriate…

Suffice to say as our response. The offer to make amends was genuine, the owner certainly not drunk but merely happy to be of service, help and if that is not desired then it is difficult to do anything more for individuals who choose to find fault, not accept honest offers to make things right.

We wish them well and hope they find happier times in the future.

Write a reviewReviews (1,322)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great setting but food was average. The salt and chill squid was a little overdone. The scampi was good and the chowder was ok - the bread was lovely. Samphire was very salty! Sticky toffee pudding and ice cream was pretty good. Friendly service so worth a visit if you want a meal with beautiful views on a sunny day / early evening.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We have been meaning to eat here and on our third visit to the area we finally did! I booked a table a few weeks earlier, but not sure it was necessary. It’s a lovely spot next to the water and has a lively atmosphere. The staff were really friendly, fun and attentive. Children’s pizza and burger were big! Ribs (special) and crab sandwich very tasty. Would like to return on a warmer and sunnier day!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a lovely meal and the staff were fantastic, my wife and I left very happy we you are all doing amazing in hard time keep up the good work hope to be back again next year

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The crabshell is set in a fantastic position in kingsbridge We had a table outside and were able to watch those taking paddle board lessons. Ordering crab sandwiches for both of us and a side of lobster butter fries we sat in anticipation. The sandwiches were on a brioche bun so not really a sandwich. Salad was tasty and crab was delicious. Lobster butter fries tasted just like ordinary fries and certainly not worth the expensive price tag. Apart from the fantastic position I’d say plenty of other crab sandwiches to be had elsewhere

Date of visit: July 2021