“It was the best exercise for a brilient view!”

1,000 Steps at Jacks Mountain
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

On the way up the mountain stepping up on the stones was exhausting but we enjoyed every step. Since it has some places to rest at, we'd drink some water and keep going so it was a nice reminder for us. The view just on the way up was really nice too, and the higher you went the more you got to see if course! It was a little difficult for my 7 year old brother who came along only wearing crocks but in the end he enjoyed the whole walk anyways and even for got excited coming across a salamander, when we reached the top we were all sweaty and tired but the view was extraordinary. The view on the way to the view point was actually better than the view point itself because we were able to see the little town in the distance and a train moving at the bottom. Also it was nice some of the steps were marked to show us how many more we had to climb which gave many hope to reach it. We had a wonderful time and probably do it again in another year! We had no regrets because it in a while was very nice and we'd love to do it again!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"climb"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 31 May 2017

First time here - I don't know why it took us so long! Formerly the commute to work at the quarry in the 1930s, now a great hike. Good overlooks, nice level trails inbetween the steps, and geocaches at the top an bottom.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

It is more than a thousand stone steps to relive the daily commute of quarry workers up this mountain in the 1930s. This is a challenging hike with uneven, sometimes wet surfaces, but the physically fit will enjoy the climb and the views at the top.

1  Thank Ticorella
Reviewed 19 September 2016

My daughter (27) and I (55) took a day trip to this location as it is about a 2 hour drive from home. It was easy to find. This 800 ft. elevation trail took us about 45-60 minutes to ascend only because I had to stop and rest several times. I'm in fairly good shape but it was a challenge for me. The trail is marked every 100 steps so you could gauge your progress. At the top, we walked to the right for about a mile and enjoyed the beautiful scenery overlooking the Juniata River and listened to the trains going by in the valley below. We then walked back and about another mile or so to the left where we came upon an old building which housed the rail cars used by the miners long ago. We met some people who told us of another scenic overlook another five miles away but there was no way I could walk that AND expect to make it down the 1000 steps. Speaking of descending, it took us about 30 minutes and it is true you use an entirely different set of muscles. I expected my quads to be sore but it was my calves that didn't want to move for the next two days!
I wore a camelback for water and could have used a sweat rag on the cloudless, 75 degree June day. I wore regular sneakers which were fine. There were only a few wet, muddy spots to negotiate. We treated ourselves to custard at The Meadows, a short 20-25 minute drive from the steps on our way home.

1  Thank Stephanie S
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Want something active to do while in the area? This is a great site to come visit and say you climbed the 1,000 steps! There is a lot of historical information to learn as well. The steps are pretty steep at some points. If you have trouble walking, I wouldn't recommend it, because there are no guide rails and few places to move aside for other walkers going up or down. It is nice that every 150 steps or so there is a landing where you can walk and catch your breathe. Once on top, you have an amazing view of the towns below. Come enjoy what Huntingdon County has to offer.