“Great views, challenging hike”

1,000 Steps at Jacks Mountain
Reviewed 30 May 2017

It is more than a thousand stone steps to relive the daily commute of quarry workers up this mountain in the 1930s. This is a challenging hike with uneven, sometimes wet surfaces, but the physically fit will enjoy the climb and the views at the top.

1  Thank Ticorella
in 4 reviews
"climb"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 19 September 2016

My daughter (27) and I (55) took a day trip to this location as it is about a 2 hour drive from home. It was easy to find. This 800 ft. elevation trail took us about 45-60 minutes to ascend only because I had to stop and rest several times. I'm in fairly good shape but it was a challenge for me. The trail is marked every 100 steps so you could gauge your progress. At the top, we walked to the right for about a mile and enjoyed the beautiful scenery overlooking the Juniata River and listened to the trains going by in the valley below. We then walked back and about another mile or so to the left where we came upon an old building which housed the rail cars used by the miners long ago. We met some people who told us of another scenic overlook another five miles away but there was no way I could walk that AND expect to make it down the 1000 steps. Speaking of descending, it took us about 30 minutes and it is true you use an entirely different set of muscles. I expected my quads to be sore but it was my calves that didn't want to move for the next two days!
I wore a camelback for water and could have used a sweat rag on the cloudless, 75 degree June day. I wore regular sneakers which were fine. There were only a few wet, muddy spots to negotiate. We treated ourselves to custard at The Meadows, a short 20-25 minute drive from the steps on our way home.

1  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed 27 July 2016

Want something active to do while in the area? This is a great site to come visit and say you climbed the 1,000 steps! There is a lot of historical information to learn as well. The steps are pretty steep at some points. If you have trouble walking, I wouldn't recommend it, because there are no guide rails and few places to move aside for other walkers going up or down. It is nice that every 150 steps or so there is a landing where you can walk and catch your breathe. Once on top, you have an amazing view of the towns below. Come enjoy what Huntingdon County has to offer.

Reviewed 10 February 2016

Be sure your in shape before you attempt the 1000 steps. Going up was a breeze! Didn't realize there are different muscles used going downhill & I gave out about halfway down.

1  Thank Woodsylady