All reviewsfor sunday lunchmany yearsfillet steakamazing foodcheese boardtop floordining room ismelt in the mouthbe visiting againlarge partyvalentines nightolde worlde hoteldefinitely worth a visitcomfy loungefriendly and efficient staffcoaching inncreme brûlée
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Made a return visit to the restaurant in the White Lion. We arrived ahead of the evening crowd. Had a drink in the bar and ordered our food without any delay. The menu was a reduced choice and was a special one for race week. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

The starters were good, especially the salad with goats cheese and walnuts. For mains, the fillet steak, the chicken and the duck breast were all delicious. There was even room for a desert and a cheese platter. The French Malbec was a good choice for the streak and duck dishes.
Overall, a high quality meal and happy customers all around.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

We have always gone here for a meal, and have been pleased with the food, it’s been a while since we had visited, and on arrival the menu looked a lot smaller, but similar food, I ordered lemon sole, it came on a bed of chips, I thought it was a sauce but it was chip fat.!! It came with potatoes and veg which was a potato ball with bread crumbs and deep fat fried.! The veg was five green beans wrapped in ham and deep fat fried.!! The whole plate was just fried fat.!! My husband had steak it was pale in colour and had no taste at all, he asked for medium to rare and got well done, again the veg the same as mine, I did notice the smell of chip fat on arrival, now I know why, such a shame as we loved dining here before, it must have a change of owner or something, it also was so cold in the there too, in all we won’t be returning.!!

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 16 February 2018

My wife & I have lived & worked in and around Upton on Severn for many years. We go out at least once per week, mostly within a 10 mile radius, we have tried most places up and down the river (also living on a boat for 5 years) and we have missed out The Lion for food, we have called in for drinks from time to time but also not as often as we should of.
It's always been a special place, We both have had wedding receptions here, although sadly not together (that's another story) but we did spend our wedding night here last year in April. We have been friends with Jon & Chis for some time too.
The moral of this tail is that on Booking Valentines night here for my wife & I, our first as man & wife, We were both taken aback by the sheer quality & professionalism from the hosts & staff. We had almost forgotten how skilled these people are in hospitality, not the corporate rule book hospitality, the human to human, we will look after you kind of hospitality, that's somewhat lacking in most places.
The food was fabulous, the staff impeccable (even our Welsh friend of 20 yrs plus) & the price? well we had 3 courses including fillet steak and some fizz for £52. I have paid that for 2 steaks and a bottle of wine, less than 4 miles away and the steaks were just about ok ish...
The rooms are very English & well done, the beer & wine is fantastic and not the usual selection.They can cater for all occasions from our experience.
Thanks John & Chris now we have rediscovered you we will be returning more often. I's nice to know there are still some fantastic places to visit.
Mark & Kay X

Room Tip: All rooms are great they do have Four Posters
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark W
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Absolutely fabulous meal we had tonight. Could not fault any of it and we would recommend to anyone after a delicious meal, Service was superb, very friendly and welcoming staff. The atmosphere was just right. A perfect valentines meal. We will visit again and again.

Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights taking my 89 year old Mum for a well deserved break. Had the 2 Cottage rooms on ground floor out the back of the patio area. Both rooms were done to a very high standard and were extremely comfortable with an additional heater available in each room if needed which was a nice touch!
This place is unbelievably quaint and a real gem with friendly attentive staff and the food is unbelievable from breakfasts to dinner so this ticks every box going.
Couple this with real ales and location in centre of town that is just so beautiful itself then I can’t recommend this place enough.
The only downside with the Cottage bedrooms were the internet doesn’t stretch that far and no phone signal either which was an inconvenience and could be easily rectified I believe but please go and see for yourself

Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family