“Lovely food ”

Price range: US$14 - US$16
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Rural pub specialising in modern British cuisine
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We visit here regularly and the food is always lovely. The service mostly by teenagers is fantastic and nothing is too much trouble. They usually do a three course menu for a set amount, this had increased slightly as it was Easter weekend but you can’t complain at £14.95 for 3 courses. The carvery is included in the offer and is always hot, fresh and delicious. We look forward to coming again soon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Booked a table with friends for Easter Sunday lunch. Carvery on the day was just short of £17 for one course and £20 for two. Food was served quickly, not much meat but gorgeous veg to accompany and beautiful Yorkshire pudding. Excellent selection of vegetables. Didn’t plan on desert however, due to the price increase it seemed madness not to take up the offer for two courses. I had salted caramel chocolate fudge cake which was lovely. Great meal in a great pub, however, don’t think we would have booked had we realised the price increase as Easter Sunday. Very expensive two courses for £20 in my opinion although food was really good

1  Thank KimFx
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Never been before, but were having a short break in the area. It would really of helped if there was a information about how their operate the restaurant.
We went to the bar to get drinks and get a menu. The guy said do we want a 2 or 3 course he then said you had to pay up front and then someone would take our order at the table. We did not know what was on the menu. In then end paid for a two courses. Then waited for someone to take the order. My meal arrived, but my Husband had to go and get his pie from the carvery area and when he got there there was a long queue. Which meant that I would be eating my meal on my own. I asked a waitrees to take my meal away and bring it back when my husband was back, which was a pain. Anyway having finished our mains the waitress then returned with some tokens which we had to take to the dessert section. I thought we would pick what we wanted and then bring it back, but they only take your order and then you have to wait for someone to bring it to you. ( I had noted that the customers sitting at a nearby table had left as they were fed up waiting for their dessert.) Anyway, ours turned up and then we left. The food was good for the price, but it was all very frustrating ordering and getting the food. I wonder who dreamed up the idea

1  Thank CID999
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited on good Friday so expected the pub to be busy and had pre booked a table. When we arrived we went to the bar to tell the bar man that we had a table booked. He told us the table number and we then had to walk around the restaurant to try and find our table! The staff only helped if you asked them to and it all seemed very disorganised. We had to get up again and ask for a menu and then again 20 minutes later to ask if we could order. (We were told to order at the bar and when we did they told us to sit and order at the table!) It seemed to take a long time to order but the menu was very nice and once we had ordered the food arrived promptly and tasted good. We finished our drinks in the bar area and had to find someone to ask if we could pay. Then we had to pay £14.95 for our meal which was advertised as £10!!! Both the men’s and ladies’ toilets were out of order so there was quite a queue for only one disabled toilet. We won’t be returning.

5  Thank GrayBock
Mark G, Manager at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi GrayBock
Thank you for your kind comments on the food.
I'm sorry we were a little bit disorganised on the ordering system, but you pay at the bar then go to your table where your order is taken. Seems quite simple to me but then again I am a simple person!!
On a more positive note I'm pleased that you enjoyed your meal and it's a shame that you won't be returning as I'm sure we could get this practise put right.
In regards to the toilet; Severn Trent were called out because there was a blockage in the mains; my fault? I don't know but it wouldn't have been long before the disabled one became blocked as well so I didn't really have any control over this major problem.
I will conclude my response by inviting you back and maybe we can have a drink together as I think your review is quite constructive
Mark

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As usual the food was very good - carvery choice was excellent and very well cooked. It was a shame that when we were handed the menu we were told that the price was £14:95 and not £10:00 as quoted on the menu. Not sure how they can get away with that. Granted it was Good Friday but nowhere in the pub was there a sign to say the meals were more expensive on Good Friday. The waiting staff were miserable and took an age to find out what the soup of the day was; staff did not know what ordering system was, one told us to order at bar and one told us order would be taken at table; people who ordered sweets after us received theirs before we did; ordered black coffee which didn’t even reach half way up the cup and when asked if it could be filled up was told that was the measure! I then asked for it to be “topped up” with hot water, which was done. The two other white coffees were also only half way up the cup and were lukewarm! If the machine only delivers a small amount of coffee then surely it would make sense to buy smaller cups instead of people feeling as though they had received half measures! One member of the party asked for a ‘flat white’ but unfortunately this was ignored! Coffee arrived with no teaspoons and no sugar and when we asked for teaspoons waitress returned with one for three of us! We asked the very pleasant barman if we could speak to the manager about the pricing of the meals but were told he was in Jamaica - the barman had not been told that the meals would be more expensive for that day and when asked whether the increased price was advertised anywhere, we were shown a piece of paper on a door behind the bar which could not be seen by the public unless you leaned over the bar! Very disappointed and not what we would expect from this establishment.

5  Thank VivBax
Mark G, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi VivBax
Just returned from Jamaica which I will say is absolutely horrendous!!
There were unfortunately some incorrectly priced menus in circulation that day. I am sorry for that.
What I would like to say is that I would like to invite you and your partner to a free Sunday carvery at my expense as I can see you have had a problem here and I wasn't here to address this properly. If you would like to email me on info@nostalgiainns.co.uk I will be happy to sort this out for you.
I hope you take me up on this
Yours honestly