All reviews rain shower hardwood floors nice lobby bar frosted glass marriott chain trying too hard marriott app modern design european feel the room was super clean mini fridge valet parking body wash walk in shower hotel bar entire room huge tv
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Mobile check in was a joke. I still had to show id, credit card, and wait for some forms to be completed for my complimentary coffee (I don't drink coffee) and a 10.00 food and beverage voucher. That all should have been done early as a part of mobile check in.
Given room 918. Well this long and skinny room divides up the bathroom. You have a toilet and small shower to one side in a very narrow section with a glass partition wall and rolling door. Across the room next to the bed is the sink and mirror. I find that layout totally unacceptable. As a Marriott platinum member I find it abhorrent that they would assign me that room.
Moved to 501 which I was promised is a quiet room. Well it isn't. It is on 3rd street and I was awoken by vehicles and trash trucks multiple times.
The room has a refrigerator but you can't control the temp. It refused to maintain a constant temp and went from barely a chill to cold back to barely a chill. Very annoying and meant my protein shake was not drinkable as it was basically room temperature in the morning. Engineering said that the fridge is working and there was nothing wrong with it. Uuuhhhh...yes there is something very wrong.
The gym is small with very minimal equipment, no mats to put on floor for stretching. And, the cable machine was so loud and the noise echoed with every movement it was painful to my ears to be in that room. And I've never seen a deflated bosu!
The breakfast was way too fancy for me. They took the Spanish inspiration top far. The 10.00 credit didn't cover the 16+ buffet with no ala carte options. No bacon or other American offering. Proscutio was option...no thanks.
I had a miserable experience and don't plan on returning to this property or to the brand.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Erica E, General Manager at AC Hotel Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Dear Kathryn M,

I do sincerely wish that the experience you had would have been so much more enjoyable, especially being a departure from the traditional Marriott hotel. I know that our staff was engaged with you during your stay in the hope of mitigating some of these issues. Though I do appreciate your feedback as it something that Marriott does want to hear, especially from their reward members, so that they can use it to develop their portfolio. The AC brand is, as you noted, a Spanish inspired hotel which take root in the Valencian design principle of: "the design is complete when there is nothing left to take away." So many of our reward guests have found that these design concepts set our brand away as something new and different from the norm, which of course which why we chose to work at AC Hotels. Being a bit of an outlier for Marriott, we understand that this hotel is not going to suit every traveler but those that it does, continue to return. Should you change your mind and wish to give us another try, please reach out to me personally so I can ensure you are well taken care of. Thank you and Safe travels.

Reviewed 9 August 2018

The room was quite big, a great large comfortable bed and a really nice bathroom with an Italian shower, my favorite. No view (room in the back) but no street noise either. We did not take the breakfast so cannot comment on it but the staff gave a great recommendation for dinner at the Q restaurant which is literally one block from the hotel and great indeed! Great central location, one block from all the light train stations.

Date of stay: August 2018
Erica E, General Manager at AC Hotel Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Dear JazzyYazzy,

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts about staying with us here in Portland! Its great to hear that you enjoyed your in room comforts, the city and especially the Q! They have been our partners since the beginning and they truly model what world class restaurants should offer in both quality of food and services standards. I don't know if you had the opportunity but Chef Annie's chocolate souffle is transcendent, in case you need motivation for next time.

I have a few other recommendations for you upon your next trip to Portland...trust me. Thank you again and Safe Travels!

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Very clean, sleek, modern, solid (didn’t hear any noise from the rooms or the street), and warm and welcoming especially because of the staff. Felt pampered the minute I hit the front desk with Maggie and Azwan’s big smiles and offer of services. Andrea gave us a little tour Emily made great martinis. Nicely appointed style makes you long to book a trip to Europe. Highly recommend for location, rooms and people. Worth it!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Erica E, General Manager at AC Hotel Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2018

Dear MK K,

And with that review...I'm going home early! Just kidding, but thank you so much for such an wonderful review of our property and mostly our staff! We are incredibly lucky to have these such a beautiful European style hotel but even more so the staff that I get to engage and work with everyday. To me, they are perfect and those same big smiles that greeted you upon check in, greet me everyday when entering the building for work! I thank you again so much for your consideration and recommendations! Safe Travels.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

This hotel exceeded my expectations, it is fairly new, well located in downtown, rooms are great in design and space as well as the bathrooms. Staff is great (with the exception of a guy with glasses that attends the coffee stand by the morning, he has an attitude and doesn't treat guests like the rest of the staff). My only suggestion would be to offer a less limited breakfast menu, it is very limited in choices (it feels more like having breakfast in an airline lounge at the airport).

Anyway keep it up, great staff and stay!

Room tip: Theres currently a construction across the street, avoid rooms on that side if possible.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

So great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and mostly that you thoroughly enjoyed the staff, they are why I do what I do. Our service, actually is all around the hotel and it permeates the service culture we have built. Though, with your feedback, I will ensure that ALL of are staff are offering the same high expectations of service toward each guest. Additionally, thank you for the feedback about breakfast, your comparison draws an interesting parallel and one that is quite understandable. The AC brand is slowly beginning to transition to some new breakfast ideas which in the next few months, should broaden the options on the AC Kitchen. Again, thank you for your review and I hope to see you again soon. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed two nights on business trip with my wife and dog. Property is modern and cool and as a platinum member was upgraded to corner king. Staff friendly and nice location near river and shopping. Pet fee of $100 is high given no dog bowl or bed. I’d stay again next time in a Portland.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled on business
Erica E, General Manager at AC Hotel Portland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2018

Dear Platinum Member,

Thank you for letting us know that you did enjoy staying at our hotel while in Portland. Being the most elite of our loyalty members your feedback is paramount to our continued development as both a property and a new Marriott brand. The AC brand was developed specifically with our most recognized and elite members in mind. Marriott listened to what you had to say; what you want in your hotel stay, what you need, what you prefer, etc. They then provided all of those elements and dispensed with the items that you don't need or want thereby making the feel of the design uncluttered and open. I can only hope that since you enjoyed staying at our property that you again seek out other AC Hotels in your travels so we can welcome you to be our guest once more.