“300 miles round trip for lunch? You bet!”

1188 Brewing Company
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in John Day
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

4 friends and I drove from Bend to 1188 Brewing Company in John Day, Oregon, yesterday for lunch! Since we're all retirees, it was a fun and delicious adventure. I'd won a generous gift certificate about a month ago from a 5K fundraiser for Healthy Beginnings called "Grin and Bear It." 1188 contributed a generous raffle basket and I won! We were warmly greeted by Randy and Shannon. We tasted a couple of beers and them settled on one and enjoyed lunch. Afterwards, we were given a tour of the brewing operation. It was a delightful visit. From the locally made furniture to art work on the walls and as sculptures, to the food presentation, pride of ownership is evident! They've recently doubled in size, both brewing capacity and pub size. Totally worth a visit!

Reviewed February 10, 2018

I stopped by a couple weeks ago for the first time. They had a stout that was out of this world! I was a little disappointed they didn't have any hamburgers, but in the end I fell that I ended up with something much better. I decided on the chipotle quesadilla, and I can tell you it was THE best quesadilla I have ever had! I don't know how they make the cheese so creamy, but it was amazing, and dripping all over the place. I was feeling very fat and happy when I left. And they have the most clever furniture! A real treat if you are in the area.

Reviewed October 30, 2017

Don't get me wrong the beer was good, the food was good...but it was not what I was expecting or wanting at a brew pub. The food was more reminiscent of tea room. If I had gone to a tea room I would have been well pleased.

Reviewed October 22, 2017

City atmosphere in a small town. Craft beer with good service. Friendly customers. Will stop in on the way again.

Reviewed October 19, 2017 via mobile

Pretty good. It was empty when we walked in but quickly a couple more patrons came in for a late lunch.
Not much of a wine selection if you don't care for brews. My husband was happy with the beer selection . But I don't care for beer. The wines were described as red, White or pink, but I looked up on the board in the actually had the names of the winery. Not a problem, this was a brewery after all.
No hamburgers, but they do have a good selection of sandwiches. My husband had a pastrami he wasn't crazy about it, but that doesn't mean that there was anything wrong with it. I had the Mac and cheese with jalapeno bacon and it was outstanding. I still have enough left for dinner.
There were signs indicating that they will be closed starting this coming Saturday for a couple of days to remodel. We were in love with the bar stools. They were probably the nicest, most comfortable, we had ever sat on.
All in all it was a good lunch. I have enough for dinner. And it was easy to get to and easy to find. We were able to park right outside the door.

1  Thank Sued1955