“Very disappointing!”
Review of Nonesuch

Nonesuch
Ranked #322 of 1,713 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Reviewed 11 April 2021 via mobile

We had heard mixed reviews but wanted to give it a try. We have traveled all over the world so we were very excited that okc has a place like this. Especially since it had been reviewed in Bon Apetit. The ambiance was not overwhelming. The food presentation was good but disappointing to the pallet. The portions are also ridiculously small. The wait staff definitely left something to be desired. The wine pairings were also disappointing for the price we paid for the dinner. We paid almost $1000 for 4 people and we got $16-$20 range of wines. When we requested a bottle of wine they insinuated that we would be over served. Given that our pours were only about 2 ounces per every 2nd course, that would be hard. When we complained to the manger he was rude. He did offer to refund $300 of the $1000 but we argued that was not the point. For the record, we did pay that remainder that already had a 20% tip added. We didn’t even have a choice to tip for what we thought the service was worth. We could have gone to Mahogany had an absolute lovely experience. Our overall experience was very disappointing. Again, we have traveled all over the world and this doesn’t even begin to compare!

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank 717douglasb
Write a reviewReviews (23)

Reviewed 21 March 2021 via mobile

Amazing food. You will NOT leave here hungry. Halfway through the tasting we are happy and feeling full. Thank you.

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 5 March 2021

Nonesuch is very popular and hard to get a reservation especially on weekends. So if you want to dine on a specific date, you need to plan ahead and book in advance for sure. There are only 20 seats in this restaurant. But it’s definitely worth the trouble and wait.
Our first course of the 10-course tasting started with a nice and warm Broscht (soup made with beet roots). The simple red colored soup was beautiful and a perfect starter since it was on Valentine’s Day weekend. We had wine pairing with our dinner and all of the wine selections went well with each course. (5 wine selections for 10-course dinner.) Each course was very unique – Catfish Tart was one of my husband’s favorites. All the courses were tasty but not over seasoned. The bison was the tenderest bison we have ever had! The Mulled Hibiscus tea was a subtle and comforting break before the desert courses.
The visual presentation of each food was simple but carefully and artfully put together on earthy dinnerware. The service was great, everyone was friendly and attentive. We were also impressed by their Covid-19 measures. Every two seats on the U-shaped counter were divided by Plexiglass, except the corner (4 seats on the each corner were together for a group of 3/4.)
We also liked the pre-paid system. They charge you when you book online, including tax and a tip. So you don’t have to wait for a check or anything once you finish your dinner. Simple and easy!
We’d love to go back when they update their menu.
(The reason I only gave 4 stars was because of the speedy pace between each course. It was a bit too fast....)

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 28 January 2021

I've been twice, and each time am delighted by the Oklahoman flare on fine dining. The dishes put a unique spin on local flavors like catfish (mousse and caviar) and bison cannoli. The wait staff is perfectly attentive, very knowledgeable, and will answer any questions. They remember repeat customers and might even surprise you with a complimentary 11th dish!

I'm disappointed with the reviewers who are overly harsh, or don't seem to understand the concept of a tasting menu experience. This is truly unique, critically acclaimed, and the best in OKC! While not a connoisseur, I've been to Michelin restaurants in South Korea and Iceland (Moss) and I'm glad to have a similar experience at home.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 13 June 2020

Food: 5/5
Service: 5/5
Cleanliness: 5/5
Decor & Style: 5/5

I agree with most that the presentation is half the experience and that is definitely worth to try this place if it is only once in your lifetime. The experience of this establishment is Michelin quality. I am no where near a connoisseur (heck, I love Jack in the Box if that gives you an idea), but i've dined at the French Laundry (3 stars, Yountville, CA), Bouley (1 Star, NYC), Le Bernardin (3 stars, NYC), Yauatcha (1 star, London), Jay Fai street food (1 star, Bangkok), are amongst a few and I can safely say the dishes provided here are of Michelin quality. In terms of space it is very small and nowhere near the usual Michelin "very elegant and large establishment look" however I imagine they will expand when the time & money is right.

Ok lets get to the food and why you're actually reading this. It's a 10 course tasting menu and the to me the appetizers was very innovative, unique, and it hit the taste buds like i've never tasted before. Something brand new if you will. That is where they receive my 5 star Yelp review, because you know, my reviews are just as important as Michelin's ;)
The entree's did not hit my taste buds as something brand new, however everything was made and presented to perfection (i.e the Quail dish was excellently made, however it did not give me a "wow" factor as the appetizers had). I actually try not to ramble on each individual dish as I like to keep my Yelp review short, simple, and leaving you guys with something to the imagination. So to conclude I say simply BOOK NOW.

It's relatively very low priced compared to other high-end establishments and a must try for everyone, even if it is just the one time.

Date of visit: December 2019