“Really Nice Pub”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Barley
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Traditional Village pub, serving great homemade food and well kept real ales.Set in pretty village of Barley in the Hertfordshire countryside.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Really nice pub, good service and lovely food. Been twice in April for lunch but both times freezing inside - enough to spoil the visit. Would think that the first thing for a pub is that it should be warm & cosy.

Reviewed January 25, 2018 via mobile

Always the same cozy atmosphere with immaculate service and great hospitality. Well done guys.
The table near fireplace it’s the right one to book
Grilled salmon with grilled veggies was lovely!

Reviewed August 26, 2017

My wife and I went with friends for dinner recently to The Chequers, a pub we hadn't been to for some time. We had a very good, smiley welcome and were asked for our drinks order immediately. We were then shown to our reserved table and given our menus. Throughout the evening, the service continued to be excellent and this contributed to the enjoyment of our meal. We all enjoyed our food - three of us had steaks, which were very good, and the other person had one of the choices from the pasta menu.

There was a very good atmosphere in the pub, which also contributed to the success of the evening. We will definitely go again.

Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

I have to admit here that the Chequers was not our first choice, but the place we went to was not serving food this particular evening. So the Chequers it was then.
First problem, the menu. So many lovely sounding dishes. Pizza, pasta, burgers etc, deciding was a difficult decision. Eventually I decided...
Wow! What a meal... I had the burger with cheese. I can safely say that it was the best burger I have ever had!
Tasty, juicy, well presented. Oh and did I mention tasty! It somehow doesn't do it justice.
An impulse second choice visit, will be first choice from now on.
Thank you, we will be back soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2017

We have been here four or five times for lunch and always enjoy it tremendously and find it well worth the drive out from Cambridge. The service is so friendly and hospitable, and the food is always freshly cooked and very tasty followed by good Italian cioffee. We find the portions quite generous. I couldn't finish my pizza so it was packaged for me to take home. Tip was politely turned down which I haven't experienced before. Overall excellent experience in this lovely old pub.