“Nice easy fast ride ”

Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Hilliard
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

The Heritage Trail is my go-to when I just want to put in some quick miles on the bike without worrying about traffic or the congestion on the Olentangy Trail.

The trail runs from Old Hilliard almost to Plain City (there are vague plans to eventually connect it to Plain City, but for now you need to ride on the roads if you want to go all the way into PC). It's very flat and very straight. There are a few road intersections, but it's usually pretty easy to get across. Closer to Hilliard and around the Hayden Run dog park it's a little more crowded, but nothing like the Olentangy. It's rare on this trail to have to slow down and wait for oncoming traffic to go around a jogger or slower cyclist. That's why it's a nice no fuss trail. It's also a good place to bring folks who are just starting to ride a bike again.

The trail starts out going through subdivisions and then goes through farmers' fields. None of the scenery is spectacular, but it's pleasant.

I always park at the Old Hilliard end and do the trail that way. You can also park at a couple of the other trailheads. Some people bike all the way in from Columbus/UA but I'm not brave enough to tackle Fishinger Road on my bike. There are some restaurants and cafes in Old Hilliard for post-ride refreshments.

If you're just visiting Columbus I'd hardly put the Heritage Trail in the "must visit" category. But if you're staying on that side of town and looking for a place to get some exercise, or you live here and want to go for an easy bike ride, it's worth checking out.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"route"
"exercise"

Reviewed 23 June 2016

I often run on the Heritage Rail Trail. Bicycling with young children is okay but if you're a serious cyclists, stay away. The path can get crowded with walkers, young children and roller bladers. Cycling too fast will put everyone's safety in jeopardy.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

First, I should say that I am a Hilliard native. I have been walking this trail since they made it a trail ( I remember it when it was still a active railroad track). It used to be a peaceful place to walk the dogs, or take a stroll by myself. In recent years, Columbus and Hilliard have both built apartments, condos, and single family homes in close proximity to the trail. As a result, the population has exploded in this area,making my walks into a ordeal of constantly dodging speeding bikers, joggers, roller bladers, and others. This makes it nearly impossible to walk the dogs. The adjacent dog park is nice, but my dogs don't interact well with feisty small dogs, and I fear attacks by larger dogs. I just don't consider this to be a good place to go anymore. There are too many people there. And it will only get worse, with all the apartments and houses they plan on building in the area. Also, you should not leave any belongings in your car, as there have been break ins in the trail parking lot. They have signs warning you about it. The big city has arrived. Time to move on.

Reviewed 30 April 2016 via mobile

We had a nice family trip to ride bike at the Heritage Bike Trails. The bike paths are nice and wide with plenty of room for the little kids to ride. The paved path also has a sand and gravel path running next to it for most of the running North of the Heritage trail. If you go South you can stop at the Homestead Park and let the kids play at the huge park.

Excellent for the little kids and for the adults as well.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 March 2016 via mobile

I consider myself lucky to reside in a neighborhood which has a direct access to the trail. I love to walk/jog (ok, mostly walk) this route in any direction. If I head east, I can go directly into Old Hilliard. Bonus: in the summer, my family & I can walk to First Responder's Park, as well as local shops, restaurants & events like concerts & Old Hilliardfest.

If I head west, I can reach Homestead Park--which is a wonderful place for the kiddos--and if I were biking, I could get out to Plain City and hit up Der Dutchman for a donut the size of my head.

The path is wide, and I have found it clean/picked up & the users accomodating and polite.

As a bonus, there are great safety features built in where the path crosses major roadways.

I haven't taken it too far south, but have gotten into Municipal Park which accesses the community center and pool.