“Simply pathetic”

Ranked #5 of 22 Restaurants in Stanley
Price range: US$7 - US$88
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hursey Seafoods, based in Stanley Tasmania, is a major catcher of the renown Southern Rock Lobster (crayfish). Patrons can purchase a range of seafoods; wholesale, takeaway or dine-in for lunch or tea. In 1974 James Snr and Valerie Hursey relocated from Dover (Sth East Tasmania) to Stanley (Nth West Tasmania). In 1987, to complement a growing company fishing fleet, a commercial factory/takaway/dine in premises was established as a memorium to James Snr and Valerie's son, Patrick, who was lost at sea attempting to rescue an adventurer, rowing across Bass Strait. In June 2015, the property was extensively renovated and now seats 100 diners, overlooking the bay and nestled under the Stanley Nut. Hursey Seafoods' fleet of nine vessels catches Southern Rock Lobster, Giant Crab, Stipey Trumpeter, Gummy Shark, flathead and other local reef fish. Lobster is retained live in sea tanks on premises, which ensures supply all year and provides consumers with the very best taste. Hursey Seafoods is open every day, apart from Christmas, for lunch and dinner. Takeaway open: 11.00 AM to 7.00 PM Sun - Thu, 11.00 PM to 7.30 PM Fri & Sat Restaurant open: 12.00 PM to 2.30 PM (seated by) & 5.30 PM to 8.00 PM (seated by)
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

This is the only time I've written a review and it's simply because I feel the meals and experience was so poor that I just had to vent. I ordered the char grilled chicken. On the menu it sounded great. My meal arrived super quick and I thought it was one of the kids meals at first it was that small. I was looking at two pieces of chicken which obviously had not been char grilled. Rubbery tasteless and looked like it had been cooked in the microwave. The rest of the meal was just as horrible. Upon ordering I was told they had no mash potatoes and that it would be replaced by some other potato. What arrived was a mini potato slice which accompanied the two pieces of broccoli and some carrot. Service was atrocious with drinks given to the wrong people (they didn't bother to ask who ordered what) and then desserts just dumped in the middle of the table. Not a good experience and I shudder what the tourists must think when they visit such a place. Not a good look for tassie.
Other meals were just as lack lustre
chips over cooked and salads were a joke.

2  Thank Mashedpotato74

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

We were very disappointed with our lunch meals in the restaurant today. My husband and son had the schnitzel and vegetables - the vegetables were soggy and inedible. I thought I’d done my homework and checked the menu on their website prior, looking forward to some Tassie prawns, however the menu on the day was different which had no prawn main, only scallops. They were ok, nothing to write home about and definitely would not go back.

We had been following the “Cradle to Coast Tasting Trail” and have really enjoyed the other recommendations on this brochure, until now.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

I did not know what to expect when our personal tour guide suggested this restaurant for our meal. Joy of Joy's Tassi Tours asked if we wished to eat before our drive back to Launceston. Both my daughter and I were hungry and we walked up the stairs to the restaurant. (Downstairs is take out). We had a window seat, glass of wine and a yummy meal followed. (We chose the lite meal instead of the huge lobster) but did not pass on dessert!!! I would recommend to anyone in Stanley. Delicious. Next time I will get the Lobster.

Reviewed 12 June 2018

We were recommended this restaurant for its fresh seafood and crayfish in particular.
The evening did not start well when our choice of three wines from the menu weren't available. The menu stated our chosen entrees were fresh prawn cocktail and crayfish cocktail with home made seafood sauce. Uh, uh. The prawns were the frozen variety and six small lumps of crayfish and shredded ice berg lettuce do not make a $20.00 entree. No garnish, no "home made" cocktail sauce. My calamari mains were inedible, rubbery and was served on a "Vietnamese" salad...aka mescalin lettuce and shredded carrot. The wait staff were attentive and replaced the meal straight away with "fresh" Tasmanian scallops. All in all a 3 star experience at a 5 star price.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

Have been before and we will be back again, the best fish and chips we have had, would highly recommend