“Not Free-Flowing Prosecco Brunch at all!!”

Hawkers Bar and Brasserie
Price range: US$13 - US$105
Description: Hawkers Bar and Brasserie is one of the newest but best established all day dining establishments in Kingston upon Thames. Located in the heart of the Royal Borough, Hawkers offers a delicious and diverse menu including breakfast, bottomless brunches, lunches, afternoon teas, cocktails, Sunday Roast and, of course, an a la carte menu tailored to channel the spirit and heritage of Kingston upon Thames.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

The actual restaurant is very smart and the food was lovely, however the tables are squeezed way too close to each other. I couldn't have a private conversation without the table next to me hearing every word and I'm pretty sure they felt the same!
I took my sister for her birthday, we were both very excited to have a girly day which involved a fair bit of day drinking (we don't get to spend much time together). I didn't realise we were in a draught of prosecco! If you think 3 glasses is "free-flowing", then go ahead and book it, but in my opinion that just isn't what it says on the tin!
We were waiting for 15 minutes plus with empty glasses in between fill-ups... pretty poor service if you ask me. The fact that we had to wait so long for a glass of prosecco made me feel on edge and not relaxed at all. Continually trying to catch someones attention with my empty glass! One waiter filled the table's glasses next to us, said he would come back with a fresh bottle to fill ours up, but never came back. We had to ask every time for a top up. I wouldn't recommend paying for the bottomless brunch.

Tom W, Marketing Executive at Hawkers Bar and Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Hi Em_C520, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. I'm so sorry to read that you had a less than satisfactory experience with regardless to bottomless delivery but atleast the food and restaurant were to your standards on this occasion. We have recently changed the way our bottomless service is delivered. By pouring the glasses personally, we hope to deliver a more personable service as our team can interact more with guests and ensure everything is going well with their meal. These changes in service are still very much something that our team and our regular guests are getting used to and we are sorry that you the delivery was not 100% for yourself when you visited. We really hope that you will accept our sincere apologies and join us again to enjoy a more streamlined and satisfactory experience next time!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Visited here for a supposedly bottomless prosecco brunch, but we were very let down, which is in accordance with many of the TripAdvisor reviews!

AS OF ARPIL 2018, YOU DO NOT GET A BOTTLE AT YOUR TABLE. You have to rely on the staff to fill it up as they are going around - this sadly does not happen as often as expected. Our glasses were empty for a lot of the time, having to ask to have them filled up multiple times. They didn’t have a member of staff roaming at all times topping up, which was highly surprising.

The final time, “Noel” (the manager), came to fill us up, 1hr 20 into our 1hr 30 slot, claiming that that was our last top-up; he said “this was an extra glass” and that one of his colleagues had told him that our “time was up”. This was completely ridiculous considering when we arrived for our booking (5 minutes early), we waited 10 minutes to even be served a drink!

We weren’t the only one’s that experienced terrible service. The table next to us received slow service, and had paid for bottomless prosecco. They complained, and were given some compensation, but when they came to leave were chased down the street to pay for something that they had been told was free!

Upon trying to speak to Hilton management, they appeared unwilling to accept a complaint, and wanted me to leave my contact details, instead of dealing with the problems there and then!

Overall a very disappointing experience!

1  Thank TravelExpert32

Hi TravelExpert32, thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry to see that you weren't thrilled with your experience at Hawkers, we certainly always strive to ensure our guests leave satisfied and fulfilled. We have recently adapted the way our bottomless service is delivered. By pouring the glasses personally, we hope to deliver a more personable service as our team can interact more with guests and ensure everything is going well with their meal. By nature, we also try to enforce the 90 minute rules with respectful accuracy so we apologise if this was not the case on the day. These changes in service are still very much something that our team and our regular guests are getting used to and we are sorry that you aren't sold on the delivery as yet but hope that you will join us again to enjoy a more streamlined and satisfactory experience.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I booked the groupon deal (3 courses for two people and unlimited prosecco - £32) for lunch on a Friday with my Nan. First impressions were good, it’s a nice looking modern restaurant. It was fairly empty when we arrived so we had a nice choice of where to sit (although the toilets were the furthers opposite side of the restaurant to where we were which isn’t great if you are elderly). For starters we had the French onion soup and the pan fried wild mushrooms, both of which were nice. For our mains we had the fish and chips, and the pork belly - which again were both lovely and good sized portions too. For deserts we had the chocolate cheesecake and the cookie bowl sundae, the second was perhaps the most disappointing dish with the cookies being slightly hard, but none the less still both nice. Although service wasn’t the fastest this suited us as you don’t want to be rushed! Our glasses were kept nicely topped up with prosecco throughout the meal and our waitress was very friendly. By the time we were leaving the restaurant had got quite busy with a nice buzz to its atmosphere. For £32 for the three courses and drinks for two people it was brilliant value, and with another deal we would definitely consider returning.

Dear EVSH2014, wow! What a wonderful review! We're so happy to see that you enjoyed every aspect of your meal - from service to food, to value for money! We are thrilled your experience was one to remember. We really hope that you'll join us again and see some of the new items on our menu. Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience!

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Horrendous service . Rude manager will never go there again .
Totally ruined my Mother’s Day lunch . Manager turned his back on me when I asked where our starters were after waiting 45 mins . When I eventually spoke to him he said I doing the best that I can ....totally unacceptable response

1  Thank Melanie H

Dear Melanie, please accept our sincere apologies for the mishaps on Mother's Day. What you describe is in no way our usual standard of service and we are sorry it had such a negative impact on your celebration. We would really like the opportunity to make it right for you and to figure out exactly what went wrong and with whom. Therefore, we urge you to please get in touch with management directly at RestaurantMgr@HiltonDoubleTreeKingston.com so we can make it right. Once again, so sorry for this.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Me and my friend have a tradition - for each one's birthday we go for an afternoon tea. Since we live in Kingston, we usually go to central London just for a change of scenery. So twice a year for several years now we indulge in this lovely traditional experience.
This year we de used to try something local so having previously been to the popular places in town, we decided to try something new. I got the vouchers from Groupon (as always) and before I bought them, I emailed the bar to check if they have gluten free option - they replied they do. So I booked the date over the phone and stressed one more time that one of the teas is to be GF. The phone booking process went easy and quick.

When we arrived we were greeted at the door by a polite man who checked our reservation and confirmed again that one of the teas should be GF. We were given a table quickly and sat down awaiting our tea.

The decor is modern and unpretentious and the place looked fairly clean. It was not busy on this Sunday afternoon but it took quite a while to get the tea and when it did arrive, both were made GF, instead of only one. I wasn't prepared to eat GF food so they offered me to make some sandwiches and scones. So we had to wait even longer.

We also had to wait for someone to show us the tea selection and eventually received the tea with long delay. We asked for milk and teaspoons and that took another 15 min to get.

Food wise, the quantity was good but the quality of the food was average and in my opinion the scones were terribly dry. Sandwiches were ok, and the tea was good.

Taking into account the slow and scarce service and the average quality of the food, I'm sorry to say we will not be returning.

1  Thank VesperLyndoo7
Jon H, FB Supervisor at Hawkers Bar and Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Hi VesperLyndoo7,

We are very sorry about your negative experience last Sunday.

Please email us at restaurantmgr@hiltondoubletreekingston.com

Kind regards,