“Ribeye steak”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

i visited The Derby Arms for lunch with my brother a couple of weeks ago having used its telephone booking service before hand. The only negative was the telephone booking service which does not allow one to speak to a human being as an option and is entirely automated. It would not be posssible to use this system hands free as buttons have to be pressed. I believe that many people will be put off by this, particularly, like me, the older guest and that therefore they will be loosing business as a result. The waitress, Caroline, was particularly helpful and keen to make sure that we had an enjoyable meal, which we did.

General Manager A, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

So pleased you enjoyed yourself PardonerEC. Looking forward to your return!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was our first time visiting this pub for lunch and we left extremely disappointed. The service was terrible. Some of the food was burnt. It was poor in quality and quantity.
We recommend visiting the pub if you just want a drink but would not recommend the food.

1  Thank 123sb

Thank you for your feedback 123sb. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to make adjustments and improvements to the service we provide out valued guests. I’m sorry to hear of your disappointing experience with us recently, I hope your visit to The Derby Arms hasn't deterred you from revisiting us again soon. We have recently changed management, and will certainly be carrying out some service training. If you would like discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact myself or another member of the management team on:

Ph: 01372 722330
Email: enquiry@thederbyarmsepsom.co.uk

Reviewed 31 March 2018

The Derby Arms is situated in a prime position on Epsom Downs, so not a place for budget dining! I visited with a friend for lunch, there is a good choice of food, although not many lighter lunch options. I had Gammon, eggs and chips which was fine, although nothing outstanding - actually the chips were rather cool. My friend had Sea Bass, reported to be delicious. With two modest soft drinks {no puddings or coffee} our bill came to £33.
As a previous reviewer has mentioned, we were left surprised and rather irritated by the waitress. We were asked where we would like to sit, we requested a certain position, where several tables were free, but then we were shown to an entirely different table! later, after several return visits, I had to stop my plate being removed before I had finished eating! When I paid my card was taken from me and I was asked if I wanted to leave a gratuity - actually I can manage to pay by card and make decisions without pushy waitresses.
All a bit disappointing.

General Manager A, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thanks for your feedback Jean. I'll be sure to pass your comments onto my head chef and try to improve our food quality. I do hope you'll return to us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I visited this month for a family birthday and was pleasantly surprised. The menu had a great range and the food was delicious (especially the koftas).
The only negative was the service. We were left mid-sentence by our server on a number of occasions - she was constantly distracted and walked off. It seemed she tried to make up for it in other areas, by checking on us twice during our mains and trying to make ‘funny’ comments however it was all a bit awkward after a very rocky start.
I would recommend the pub for food and value but service could be improved.

Thanks for the great rating Emily! So looking forward to having you back again soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Having given this place a miss for a couple of years because of the same menu & some iffy staff attitudes, we were pleasantly surprised to return. The menu has been revamped, the decor & chairs updated & the food was really good, with generous portions. We won't leave it another two years to return

General Manager A, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

So pleased we impressed you Sarah! Really looking forward to having you back at The Derby Arms again soon!