“Great for a special celebration”

Wynnstay Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 125 Restaurants in Oswestry
Price range: US$74 - US$74
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2018

This was for a special family get together of 10 people to celebrate my husband's 70th birthday. The hotel was very busy when we arrived - obviously popular - but the dining room was lovely, and our waitresses and waiter were very helpful and attentive, and made us feel very relaxed. The adults had the 6-course a la carte menu, but although the children had their own menu which was at a much cheaper price, they were included in the special 'Amuse bouche' and Intermediate dish also, which was very thoughtful of the chef. The food was delicious and of good quality, and we thoroughly enjoyed our evening, we felt that the staff had all contributed to making it a special evening for us. Would highly recommend it for a special occasion.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea this week at The Wynnstay Hotel. We were seated in the Wilson bar, which was light and airy. The afternoon tea was excellent value for money with a wide variety of items on offer. The staff were polite and courteous. I would return in the future

Reviewed 7 March 2018

I have never had such a pathetic meal in all my life. I ordered an 8oz ribeye steak cooked rare. What I got was a half decent piece of steak that had been cooked by someone who was either not a cook or simply hated food. To say it was cooked "blue" would be an understatement. Other people who ate in the bar at the same time were equally unhappy. I will NEVER eat there again.

SebSiddi76, General Manager at Wynnstay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Dear Sir,

I would like to express my sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations during your recent visit to the Wynnstay Hotel.

After investigating the matter further with the staff on duty that day, I must say that I am really sorry that we failed to provide you and your wife with the service that you would expect from a good quality 4 star hotel. There are no excuses for not being able to deliver good service and I am really surprised to receive your comments as the Hotel Bar is renowned for the quality of its food and service.

Your constructive feedback has been taken very seriously, and with that in mind we will concentrate on improving our service and the quality of products that we serve in the Hotel. However, may I suggest that when one of the waitresses asks you if everything is ok during your meal, please do not pretend that every is ok as this won't enable us rectify any aspects of your meal. Also the fact that you have managed to completely finish your meal did not give the waitress any inclination that there was something wrong with your meal.

I am sorry that you also feel that you will be unable join us for lunch again but if do return to the hotel, please feel free to contact me directly as I would like to apologise to you in person, rather than expressing your opinions in this way.

Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

We came here after having so many lovely meals in the past... but on this occasion we were disappointed.
My parents booked this for my birthday meal. 6 adults and 1 child attended.
The service we received throughout was OUTSTANDING, I can’t say anything bad about them.
The menu looked very good, and once we had our food is was just ‘average’, nothing really stood out... and for the price you pay, we thought that the portions would have been a-bit bigger. I was still hungry after a main meal and dessert.
We will be coming back. I just hope next time we get the outstanding food that we have had previously.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

I took my elderly mother and her sister to this restaurant as a pre Christmas treat. It was just what we needed, a traditional establishment which had close parking (as my 91 yr old aunt has mobility problems) and a ‘cut above’ a pub meal. Firstly, the parking. Whilst quite large, you can’t access it from the rear entrance as you used to be able to, secondly you need a token to exit. This was not explained to me at any time, nor the other 3 drivers who ended up queueing to get out causing much frustration to all inconvenienced. We booked a table and was happy with the location. We sat down at 12.30 and were given menus and drinks quickly. However, we then sat there for 45 minutes before anyone came back to take our order. Others had walked in on spec and were served well before us. There is an option of smaller portions which is great for those with small appetites, however they are VERY small. My Mum (usually has small portion but I was going to have some her scampi) ate the lot easily. The chips were presented nicely in one of those small metal beaskets that are trendy, but they consisted of chips of all different sizes meaning some were better cooked than others. I had a ‘stuffed loin of pork with apricot stuffing’. I got a couple of very thin slices of pork (a la school dinner) with a perfectly round, diner mint sized piece of dense, tasteless stuffing. It sat on 5 brussel sprouts the size of small marbles and cut in half and a cream cider sauce that was about a desert spoonful. That was it! I hadn’t realised that you had to pay extra for vegetables and did not expect to for a 2 course £17.50 meal. It was shocking and I did raise this with the waitress. Unfortunately we had been so long being served that we didn’t have time to replace the meal (we were meeting other relatives and had little time to spare). My mother and I had Baileys creme brûlée which was also poor, no crisp top and couldn’t taste the Baileys. Overall a disappointing experience for a much awaited meeting between my mother and her sister who lives some distance away from us. We did get one of the brûlées free in compensation. I will never go back here. Yes, they were preparing for a huge Christmas party event but that should not have meant that we were to have such shoddy service and poor food. This is not a cheap place to eat, and we wanted food to match the price we paid. This place used to be so good and my family who live locally have used it for large family events for years and years.

2  Thank Helen J