Footsteps - Walking the beauty of Northumberland
More Information

Ways to Experience Footsteps - Walking the beauty of Northumberland
from US$211.62
More Info
All reviews an excellent guide holy island guided walk walking experience excellent walks caught the bus natural history low tide bird life walk barefoot home made cakes sunny day patrick cheviot pilgrims fauna route
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 June 2016

I had a fabulous day, it was a memorable experience. The guide Patrick is knowledgeable and friendly. I did walk over barefoot (despite the photos making it look like November it was actually June!) But the lack of sunshine didn't spoil it at all. The place has a special ambience and you're aware you're walking a historic route.

The walk out was overcast but you could still see the panoramic views (it's 3 miles each way). That was followed by a pub stop and a walk around the sights in the village.

The walk back was done in the fog, but that just made it atmospheric and highlighted the desolate 'moonscape' type appearance of the landscape. (I felt perfectly safe both directions, no chance of getting lost.) Would do this walk again, and would definitely use 'Footsteps' again.

Date of experience: June 2016
WalksNortthumberland, Manager at Footsteps - Walking the beauty of Northumberland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2016

Thanks for your review Helyn, it was certainly a memorable evening out there on the Pilgrim's Way. The barefoot experience is something that everybody remembers about the walk and as always, it is highly recommended.

Reviewed 27 March 2016

I can't recommend Footsteps, and in particular its founder and guide Patrick, highly eough. During a recent holiday in Northumberland I booked onto one of their guided walks along the beautiful Northumbrian coast northwards from Craster. I had a fantastic day walking in the spring sunshine, with Patrick and another lady who had booked onto the same walk. I found Patrick to be a very friendly and experienced guide, with a wealth of knowledge about the history and geology of the local area and its wildlife. I enjoyed the day so much that I mentioned I would be interested in going on another Footseps walk during the week. I am an experienced walker and expressed an interest in a walk up the Cheviot. Patrick was great and rearranged his schedule to enable the walk to take place on the best day of the week weatherwise and also on a day that suited me, He used his local knowledge to select a beautiful and also less strenuous route up Cheviot followed by a steeper route down. We had another great day walking, wildlife watching and chatting in the sunshine.

Arranging the walks was simple and efficient and the customer service I received was first class. I had a great time and I will certainly be walking with Footsteps again.

Date of experience: March 2016
WalksNortthumberland, Owner at Footsteps - Walking the beauty of Northumberland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2016

Many thanks for your lovely review, I do appreciate it. Both days were exceptional, plenty of Northumberland sunshine, some great and diverse scenery and I enjoyed finding the geocache on the summit of The Cheviot, a new experience for me.

Reviewed 27 March 2016

Had a brilliant walk with Patrick over the Pilgrim's crossing over the Lindisfarne - a much better option than the causeway, I am sure. It was such an experience, helped greatly by Patrick's experience and knowledge - and his willingness to undertake these walks even with small numbers. Think the higher than normal water, and the threat of rain (which never transpired), added to the ambience of the day. Highly recommend, and would like to come back for one of the sunset walks in barefeet.

Date of experience: March 2016

Thank you Isla for the lovely review of our guided walk to Lindisfarne, following the Pilgrim's Way. It was an excellent day and I still can't believe that we avoided the rain. I look forward to walking with you again on a barefoot walk to Lindisfarne at sunset in the Summer.

Reviewed 1 December 2015

We had a wonderful day; despite forecast rain the sunrise was clear and bright and the walk was beautiful. On the way back the wind picked up to make an exciting and unforgettable crossing. We were looked after well all day and learned a lot from Patrick's knowledge of flora, fauna and history. Thank you so much.

Date of experience: November 2015
WalksNortthumberland, Owner at Footsteps - Walking the beauty of Northumberland, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2015

Thank you for your review, we had an excellent day and I'm very pleased that you both enjoyed the experience of a wild and windy day on the Northumberland Coast.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

This was our second foray into the Cheviot Hills. Last year we climbed 'The Street' from Barrowburn to the Pennine Way en-route to Wndy Gyle. This time we followed a route to the Cheviot itself that started some way up Harthope Burn. These hills have a beauty it is difficult to describe. The burns wet and muddy this time, enveloped in fern, that is wrapped in the most beautiful vibrant heather. If you are alert you will spot any number of fungi varieties underfoot. Hardy mountain sheep roam the paths and hills that were once travelled by the fearsome Border Reivers. When visibility drops and a Dickensian shroud turns everything a flat grey, you will need to have your map and technical aids to hand. But rain or shine walking in the Cheviots is one experience any able bodied or supported person should experience once in a lifetime.

Date of experience: September 2015