“Nice pitstop”
Review of Barter Books

Barter Books
Ranked #1 of 15 Shopping in Alnwick
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the largest secondhand bookshops in Britain and the home of the famous Keep Calm and Carry On poster. Barter Books has become one of the largest tourist attractions in the North East of Englnd.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This lovely rebuilt trainstation now secondhand bookstore is a nice break from castle visits and markets. We had the toast, the sausages w onion sauce, the fishcakes, and food comes in plenty here. Sausages could have had 2 mins more on the grill, but else food was OK. Large pluss for atmosphere and the coal heated owens which helped us dry up from the constant rain outside.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"treasure trove"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We arrived at Barter Books and turned left into the car park. The sign said that there was a turning point at the top (which there is) but a turning point at the top makes no difference when it's a single track road and nobody can get in or out! We sat halfway up the narrow car park for ages in a total jam with people in front of us unable to park, people piled in behind us, people in front of us faced us or were stuck in their cars by the line of cars and were trying to get out and it was extremely stressful. We even had one horrible woman come and shout at us through our car window as she wanted to get out and we had to point out to her that we couldn't reverse anywhere due to the 8 or so cars behind us!!! It ended with everyone having to reverse down the (very narrow and slightly twisted) road in a line, though luckily at this point two people waiting to leave joined the line of reversers and we got their space. It was Easter Monday so understandably busy but I don't think the parking works at all. When we came out over an hour later it was still a total jam and getting out took a long time.

So I would never EVER park there unless it was extremely quiet, BUT... find somewhere else to park because the shop is well worth a visit. It's absolutely amazing inside. The decor, the thousands and thousands of books, the working train going around... it's a very special place indeed. There's also something very lovely about being in the company of fellow book lovers and so heartening to see how jam packed it was with people who were shopping for second hand books. A real joy. The staff were friendly and helpful (and calm despite the rush) and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit, all coming away with a nice little stack of books each. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Popped in on our way home and stopped for well over an hour. If it hadn’t been for our long journey home we could have spent much longer. Dogs welcome, which was great because we had 3 poodles with us. Lovely open fire in the room as you enter. Fantastic eclectic choice of both fiction and factual, with some more interesting old books also, rivalling Booth’s in Hay on Wye. Add in the fun oh the overhead train set chugging round the shop and the cosy tearoom, there really is either a book or entertainment for everyone in the family, plus plenty of fuss for the dogs and the chance for them to socialise with their new found dog friends. I was spoiled for choice and selected so many books I earned a 10% discount. What a win! We will be back next time we visit Northumberland.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This place is incredible. I love books and in our short visit to Alnwick we went to Barter Books twice. I bought 15 books and a mug and I’d happily go back and do it all again. On our first visit we also have a cuppa and a cake which was lovely. The second visit was even better. We both had smashed avocado on toast and it was soooo good. It’s probably a good job I live 2.5hours away. Otherwise I’d be there every day!!!