Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Love!

We come here quite often as we live locally and we all like to read. The kids love it here too... read more

Reviewed yesterday
417adeleg
Alnwick, United Kingdom
via mobile
We pop in whenever we are passing

Barter Books is one of its kind. We always have a few books in the car, and never go up the coast... read more

Reviewed yesterday
FWAANDMAA
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

1,568 results
All reviews book shop old railway book lovers waiting room station buffet model railway station building book shelves toy train children's section trains running biscuits comfy chairs open fire original features treasure trove lovely cafe
Reviewed 3 April 2018

We arrived at Barter Books and turned left into the car park. The sign said that there was a turning point at the top (which there is) but a turning point at the top makes no difference when it's a single track road and nobody can get in or out! We sat halfway up the narrow car park for ages in a total jam with people in front of us unable to park, people piled in behind us, people in front of us faced us or were stuck in their cars by the line of cars and were trying to get out and it was extremely stressful. We even had one horrible woman come and shout at us through our car window as she wanted to get out and we had to point out to her that we couldn't reverse anywhere due to the 8 or so cars behind us!!! It ended with everyone having to reverse down the (very narrow and slightly twisted) road in a line, though luckily at this point two people waiting to leave joined the line of reversers and we got their space. It was Easter Monday so understandably busy but I don't think the parking works at all. When we came out over an hour later it was still a total jam and getting out took a long time.

So I would never EVER park there unless it was extremely quiet, BUT... find somewhere else to park because the shop is well worth a visit. It's absolutely amazing inside. The decor, the thousands and thousands of books, the working train going around... it's a very special place indeed. There's also something very lovely about being in the company of fellow book lovers and so heartening to see how jam packed it was with people who were shopping for second hand books. A real joy. The staff were friendly and helpful (and calm despite the rush) and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit, all coming away with a nice little stack of books each. We would definitely go back.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Popped in on our way home and stopped for well over an hour. If it hadn’t been for our long journey home we could have spent much longer. Dogs welcome, which was great because we had 3 poodles with us. Lovely open fire in the room as you enter. Fantastic eclectic choice of both fiction and factual, with some more interesting old books also, rivalling Booth’s in Hay on Wye. Add in the fun oh the overhead train set chugging round the shop and the cosy tearoom, there really is either a book or entertainment for everyone in the family, plus plenty of fuss for the dogs and the chance for them to socialise with their new found dog friends. I was spoiled for choice and selected so many books I earned a 10% discount. What a win! We will be back next time we visit Northumberland.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This place is incredible. I love books and in our short visit to Alnwick we went to Barter Books twice. I bought 15 books and a mug and I’d happily go back and do it all again. On our first visit we also have a cuppa and a cake which was lovely. The second visit was even better. We both had smashed avocado on toast and it was soooo good. It’s probably a good job I live 2.5hours away. Otherwise I’d be there every day!!!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Had three visits to the bookshop during my weeks holiday and bought a couple of big stacks of books! It's a lovely atmosphere in there with a nice little cafe. I will certainly be visiting this shop again on my next visit to the area.
There is a car park and on each of my three visits I was able to get parked. It's a tight squeeze into the car park and particularly on my first visit there was very poor driving by people trying to park which was frustrating.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This is a great book shop with a great range of books for sale. You'll certainly find something.

They also have a great system if you wish to sell books they will offer you in-house credit for books they are willing to buy off you.

A must visit if you are in the area.

Date of experience: April 2018