“Great Place to Stay”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just spend Easter weekend at Tan Hill. All the staff are extremely helpful and special mention to Scott and Donna! Was such a pleasure to meet everyone there. Great atmosphere, great entertainment as well. Excellent location is you just want to unwind, perhaps do a bit of walking.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Smokey and the bandit
The Tan Hill Inn is set in bleak beautiful landscape, and only reached by roads best avoided when there is any likelihood of treacherous weather conditions.
Although the views outside the pub are awesome, the interior of this pub is anything but picturesque. On the day I visited the interior of the pub was pretty hazy on account of a fire that emitted more smoke into the room than up the chimney. The furniture was pretty rustic and looked as if bought from house clearance sales.
The guy behind the bar seemed to be more content chatting to people whilst those of us waiting to be served were initially ignored. He also had a penchant for loudly berating the young guy who was serving food to customers. As someone who worked in the service industry, dependent on customers visiting and hopefully returning, he was sadly lacking in any interpersonal skills.
Part way through my meal, he decided to stoke up the fire with coal and as a consequence the bar and lounge room were filled with black acrid smoke, so much so I left the bar to get some fresh air.
Would I pay a return visit? The answer would be in the negative. One wouldn’t want to pay top pub prices for ale and food served by someone whose thoughts were obviously elsewhere, notwithstanding the need to wear a gas mask when the fire is on.

Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

After a lovely day out in sunny North Yorkshire, slightly adjusted our return journey home to Northumberland to call in for a refreshing drink. Always like to stop by whenever we're in the area, warm welcome and a nice open fire. Often really busy, so it isn't just us who like to stop. Well definitely be back.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

Booked to stay one night but due to an email problem and poor action by staff the booking I thought I had made did not happen. Unfortunately this wasn't until I had travelled for about two and a half hours getting there to be told that I didn't have a booking and that all rooms were taken. I was offered as some sort of compensation a meal and a drink which I took and enjoyed, but would rather have had the opportunity to stay for one night.
They were very good and said they would investigate who had dealt with my booking. Unfortunately after I emailed them the details of when I had made the call re my booking but have had no response or acknowledgement from them since, Just a little dissapointing.

Louise P, Owner at Tan Hill Inn Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2018

We were very sorry that the Booking didn’t happen, after investigation You Booking was cancelled after reminder for payment email was sent to you a week or so before.
You had called and the staff member who confirmed that the Booking was still on the system, this Booking was removed shortly afterwards as no payment was made. It’s somethin* that has been addressed with staff, and as there was nothing more we could have done we offered you a meal and drink on the House.
These things happen very very rarely , anyway we genuinely am sorry for our part in this and hope to see you again, pleased you enjoyed what you had thank the staff dealt with you in the correct manner, x

Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

Pretty basic accommodation but clean and warm.Friendly staff and landlady.Lamb at dinner and chocolate orange pudding fabulous. Hearty but slightly disorganised breakfast