“Excellent Sunday roast”

Ranked #11 of 135 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$9 - US$31
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Shoulder of Mutton is a traditional Country Pub which has been recently fully refurbished, we are set in the village of Middleton Tyas at the Scotch Corner junction off the A1, we are an ideal stop off point for both journeys north and south 1 minute from the junction, we are also ideally placed if you are staying at the Scotch Corner Hotel or Travelodge at Scotch Corner or Skeeby In 2010 we were voted 6th best restaurant in the Darlington & Stockton Times.We pride ourselves on our friendly welcome and service and our excellent food, all our food is made on the premises, we try and use local produce where we can, our meat comes locally and our steaks are all local and are 28 day matured, Seafood comes from local fishmongers and is fresh daily. Our chef Simon was trained at the Savoy in London and is local to the area he previously worked at the Black Bull. We have a well-stocked bar with a selection of real ales, great wines and serve a selection of fresh brewed coffee and teas, all ideal for a quick stop on your journey as well as the ideal place for intimate lunch, dinners and family gatherings.We have a private dining room seating a maximum of 18 people which is ideal for private gatherings and family meetings. The room is also available for conferences and meeting’s, the room is fully equipped for all your conference needs the room is ideal for up to 14 people, please call for details.
Reviewed 12 August 2018

We visited on the way home from Scotland for Sunday roast. It's a short drive from the A1 and infinitely more preferable than a motorway services. We visited on a recommendation and were not disappointed.
Both meals had loads of meat (1 beef and one loin of pork) and tasty veg, especially the cauliflower in batter. Friendly services as well.
Give the services a miss and have a proper meal.

1  Thank Jon H

Reviewed 12 August 2018

Out and about up North again and decided to book for some T at THE SHOULDER of MUTTON in Middleton Tyas. It's been years since I have been to this place so based on the TA reviews we give it a whirl.

We booked a table for four at 18:00hrs literal as they opened for food again.... as we were all famished. Upon arrival we were shown to our table by a friendly Staff member , the atmosphere is great a traditional country pub feel.

Drinks ordered swiftly followed by starters and mains .... Soup of the day, Camembert and Rustic bread board, Burger, Steak and chips and THE PIE....

IN SUMMARY

Great venue
Friendly Staff
VFM - Yes
Food very well presented, quality tasting fresh produce.
Star Meal... The Pie
Rustic Bread - perhaps not so rustic next time it doesn't need to be toasted AS Much, but hey that's just my opinion.

Would we visit again...... Without doubt.

1  Thank 560darrenc
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

What a truly amazing evening from start to finish

We were a party of 12 and had the pleasure of being seated in the private dining area upstairs

Jess our waitress couldn’t have done more for us, she was friendly, warm and courteous giving us excellent service

We all had starters, half of us taking advantage of the sharing boards. Myself and my partner opting for the surf board and there was more than enough for us both

For my main course I chose the Indonesian beef kebab, the taste was amazing and it was so tender

All the meals were piping hot and everyone enjoyed what they had chosen. We didn’t have enough room for dessert but the 3 children did enjoy their ice cream

We definitely will come back
The pub has its own character and despite a different review we found James to be charming

Thank you to you all for making Mum and Dads night so special

2  Thank clareandgirls
Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

Traveling to Scotland from Devon with my family & we stopped here for a meal. I was very unhappy with my 10oz sirloin steak as it was over cooked & tough. We were a third way through our meal when the owner - James approached & asked if everything was to our satisfaction. When I raised my disappointment, he offered to have another cooked. I pointed out that I didn’t like eating on my own, when everyone else had finished their meals. It’s not exactly the experience we had planned. He shrugged his shoulders, turned & left without the curtesy of even an apology. He charged full price for a meal that I couldn’t eat, nor did he feel the need to say ‘sorry’ - what an arrogant owner!

5  Thank Rory8250
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

Excellent food at a great price for the area. Our family of four were all made to feel very welcome & treated to great service throughout. The deserts were a particular highlight with the croissant bread & butter pudding worth heading back again for. Would highly recommend & will be visiting again soon.

Date of visit: July 2018