“Shocking & Disappoiting Service”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #39 of 139 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Seriously disappointed to arrive for breakfast which is advertised for non residents from 7.30am at 8am to be ignored for at least 20 minutes! Despite the menu stating to ask your "server" when I approached the counter & managed to find a member of staff he came across as quite rude telling me I had to order at the counter which I tried to however I needed to go back to ask what type of eggs & toast my family wanted. This was not taken down correctly as the breakfasts arrived with the wrong toast with the right eggs etc. When I went to open a raspberry jam it was a used one that looked like there were bits of butter in it from the previous user. We asked for an extra slice of toast as it was exceedingly limited with the smoked salmon which duly arrived however having spent around £45 for 4 breakfasts & 4 drinks I was not expecting to be stopped like I was a thief on the way out & told we had to pay £3.95 for it! We have been regular customers for nearly 4 years now & this has always been our go to place for ourselves, for special occasions & when we have visitors however based on this & other recent visits I shall be finding alternatives. I always give a place a fair chance & I am not quick to judge a place we like to visit regularly but it has really gone down hill on service & value for money in the last 6 months or so.

1  Thank Celestine65

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We took our family and a few friends (24 in total) to the Marine hotel last weekend to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. We would like to thank the manager Nick and his amazing staff for looking after so well. The hotel is well appointed and offers a very warm welcome. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, they are all friendly and very professional. We occupied a function room on the first night and ate in the restaurant on the second night-the food on both occasions was of the highest standard. All of the eleven bedrooms allocated to our group were comfortable and well appointed. Whitstable is a lovely town and the Marine hotel is the ideal base from which to explore it.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Excellent choice of food and friendly staff in Restaurant. Bar meals are also available which very good

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve been here before for bar food and never been disappointed.
However we came for lunch today with my family ( table of 11 ), for my Mums birthday.
Myself and a few others had the trout starter, I mean I’m not greedy but this was an amuse-bouche without the capers which according to the menu should have been on there! Some had the Risotto which was like a very sickly rice pudding.
My chicken roast dinner consisted of a small chicken thigh and drumstick and three small roast potatoes and three bowls of vegetables to share between 11 people. When we asked for the stuffing which should have come with our meal we were told “ No it doesn’t come with the chicken “ ! When I questioned this, 3 pieces were delivered for the 5 people that had chicken!
Even my husband who pretty much eats anything and never complains about food was so underwhelmed he couldn’t wait to get home and eat something!

2  Thank Rachael C
Reviewed 25 March 2018

We had a very good evening dinner in the Marine Hotel restaurant on our first night, impressed by the quality of the cooking and the friendly service. We were lucky enough to be offered the restaurant's romantic alcove - quite private from the rest of the dining room, with a curtain you could pull across if desired - a nice touch if you wanted a quiet couple's night. Starters of paprika dusted whitebait and mushrooms on sourdough toast were followed by fish and chips and a steak. A very pleasant and satisfying meal.