Moors Valley Country Park and Forest
Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights

What could be better than spending the day in the Autumn sunshine in a country park? We were a... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Kevin H
Zurich, Switzerland
Lovely Park

This is a lovely park and I have visited often over the years. My only issue is I find it difficult... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
D3700HVdonnah
via mobile

1,322 results
All reviews steam train all ages moors valley go ape gruffalo trail train ride country park play equipment golf course play area rubbish home great fun fresh air fantastic place lovely walk on site only downside
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 August 2021

I fully understand trying to tackle litter but its ridiculous they offer a no bin policy. I had a hot dog, as did the kids and we had to walk around with ketchup bowls as there are no bins until we could get back to the provider who would accept our rubbish. One dog bin ...also not ideal...come on a few bins won't hurt. Most people try to take their homes but like us, we stopped by on the way home from a week away and didn't have a carrier bag to hand.
The car park is also very expensive. We paid £8.40 for 2 hours. I would suggest you go directly across the A31 to Avon Heath which is way less busier, cheaper and have bins!

Date of experience: August 2021
MoorsValleyCP, Communications Ranger at Moors Valley Country Park and Forest, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2021

Hello Traveler831643, thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you were not happy with our bin policy. We provide 12 dog waste bins located in different areas of the Park and Forest, they're highlighted on the following map with dog icons in red and green squares www.moors-valley.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Walking-Map.png

We don't provide general waste bins and kindly ask visitors to take home any rubbish that they have carried into Moors Valley. Any waste generated from items bought in our outlets can be returned to any outlet in the Park and Forest, not just the one that you purchased it from. General waste bins, however often they're emptied can attract wasps, flies and rodents. Other wildlife such as squirrels, foxes, badgers and birds can make themselves ill by eating inappropriate food or packaging material.

I'm sorry to read that you feel parking is expensive. Money generated from parking is re-invested in the park and forest though maintaining trails and attractions. We have a 1.5 mile, 10 structure Play Trail, 2 Play Parks, a Music Trail, Gruffalo Sculptures, singletrack cycling trail, fitness trail and so much more all included in the price of parking.

Reviewed 20 August 2021

We wanted to take our grandkids, son and pregnant daughter-in-law for a walk and picnic when they visited us while we were on holiday and found this place online. The website didn’t give the impression that it was so big or would be so busy. As others have mentioned, the carpark is Disney World size and already more or less full when we arrived at 11:30. There were thousands of people milling around the visitor centre area - too many to achieve any kind of social distancing- long queues for drinks and ice cream , bikes and dogs all getting in each other’s way, and no obvious place to sit, so after using the toilet we just turned around and left after 15 minutes…still had to pay £8.40 for the carpark as we had two cars, so probably the most expensive toilet break in history).

Date of experience: August 2021

Hi Ian, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm sorry that the park was busier and bigger than anticipated. School holidays are our busiest time and with the South West welcoming a large number of visitors this year we have been very busy. The Visitor Centre is the main hub of the park and this can get busy at peak times, however if you walk or cycle for around 50 metres it starts to get a lot quieter and quite often by Crane Lake or in the Forest you can go for miles without seeing another person. We have 2 large picnic areas, 1 next to Moors Lake and 1 next to the Gruffalo sculptures. We introduced 50 new benches this year to provide more seating, I'm sorry that you didn't find these areas when you were here. To help people plan their day we provide free paper maps at the Visitor Centre and there are also large map signs located around the park, you can also download them on our website www.moors-valley.co.uk/maps. If it's your first visit we highly recommend popping into the Visitor Centre or speaking to one of the Rangers to give you more information.

Our parking charges are currently £4.20 for up to one hour and £8.40 for up to two hours, we have an ANPR system which should work out the length of your visit and charge accordingly. If you're charged incorrectly please speak to one of the Rangers who will be able to help you. I'm sorry that your visit wasn't as expected and I do hope it hasn't put you off visiting another time.

Reviewed 19 August 2021 via mobile

We visited on a dull Monday in August. By the time we arrived at about 1045, the car park was akin to Disney level capacity. Rammed. We were in the park for the amazing Walk with a Hawk experience - totally brilliant and recommended and we didn’t stay long after that. The Visitor Centre looked great and there were lots of staff. And fabulous ice cream including flavoured Mr Whippy!! But it was absolutely packed - and we don’t visit the New Forest to mingle with hoards. Loads to do but I think most of it was £££ - unless you’re a tiny person in which case lots of playgrounds. For teens and adults you might be better cycling than walking - flat and vast - but slightly dull compared to the rest of the forest. Think Center Parcs sterile/manicured. Cycle far to escape the occupants of all the cars. Car parking steep on top of activity charges. I get the rationale and it certainly didn’t deter visitors but £11.50 for 2 hours was definitely punchy. All that said, we’d be back. But earlier, with bikes, a plan and a picnic!

1  Thank 4plusadogandcat
Reviewed 17 August 2021 via mobile

I visited on possibly one of the busiest days of the year when half of Dorset & Hampshire were hear but because the Country Park is so large it could take the number of visitors + their cars.
Yes it was busy in places however if one was prepared to walk a bit you could find total peace and solitude.

A few small grumbles for example the free map is totally inadequate we soon got lost and the signposting is patchy to say the least however I did read after that a more detailed map was available for £1 in the Visitor Centre so I would recommend buying that as this park is LARGE!!

The parking is not cheap however I respect that the income generated goes in large part to maintainance of the park.I feel that a notice to this effect could be placed near the pay area so that people are aware how their money is being used I did read it somewhere but not I recall near the pay points.

For visitors expecting to go climbing I believe booking in advance is still required.

The little train ride was enjoyable and probably worth the fare.

So yes all in all on the grounds of its ambiance and maintenance I feel the park warrants a 5 star rating but if it's possible try and avoid a School Holiday Sunday I am certain it will make your visit much more of a positive experience!

2  Thank SteveBraddick
Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

We popped in here on our way from Dorset to Kent. A lovely location and loads to do. The parking charge makes up for the masses of play areas and activities available. My sons ages 9 & 12 enjoyed the high nets and the play trail. We also found the lake and the play area down there. Lack of bins was very annoying at the end when we wanted to leave our empty drinks bottles etc. More bins around the activity centre, the car park and picnic area would be handy.

2  Thank Clapetjac