“faultless food tainted by staff comments ”
Review of Toppers and Toast

Toppers and Toast
Ranked #104 of 686 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed 31 May 2021 via mobile

Having never been to toppers and toast I went on the reviews of a friend for their bank holiday tacos and tequila night. I cannot fault the food or the service throughout our meal it was all amazing. I can see why so many enjoy brunch here as it is a beautiful and well presented venue! However, we all paid £35 for an event with live music (of which we experienced no live music) and having been sat at 6pm come 8.30/8.45 we were made to feel very uncomfortable by who I can only assume we’re managerial staff sat on neighbouring tables telling their waiting staff to ‘get them out’ and check if we had ‘bothered to tip’. Perhaps we misunderstood the point of the evening but my belief was that this was an evening event but it seemed that after 8pm the staff were no longer so accommodating and were more bothered about getting us to leave so that they and their friends (who were surrounding our table which was slightly intimidating) could continue a party without customers. Had it been explained that we needed to leave we would have happily left as asked but our table were not informed of this. Therefore an otherwise lovely evening was tainted by the comments of the staff suggesting we were a nuisance after spending over £200 in their establishment. Our intent was never to be ‘those customers’ having ourselves worked in the service industry but I feel talking loudly about your guests and wanting to them to leave on the neighbouring table is unprofessional and really soured our otherwise lovely evening! Please be careful what you say about your customers within ear shot as we would have happily left if told there was a time limit!

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (94)

Reviewed 2 May 2021 via mobile

After seeing this cafe all over Instagram I visited with my family and we all absolutely loved it! We arrived at 9.40am just before opening and were first in queue but by 10am there were 5 other groups, I recommend getting there with plenty of time as it is popular and you cannot book.

The staff were all friendly and helpful! We sat in the garden which was sunny, comfortable and lovely decor. My parents both had a full english and I had the biscoff banana pancakes - we all cleaned our plates and said the food was all delicious! There was also lots of other things on the menu we’d love to try.

Overall a great experience and would definitely recommend and return.

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank MKB1107
Reviewed 11 January 2021

Great service, these guys really went the extra mile to seat my large family of 6 together. We tried the breakfast, pancakes and french toast and was out of this world! We will be returning after the lockdown!

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 2 January 2021

Visited in the summer and was refused a high chair for my 9 month old. 2 of us and the baby sat at a table for 4. Ridiculous one of the chairs could of been swapped out for a high chair. Not accomadationg AT ALL.Customer service ZERO. When questioned about this I was told that they did not keep high chairs on site due to covid and social distancing. Initally this put me off dining out with my daughter in other places. But since I have been to many restaurants that have been happy to provide high chairs. So it must of been a lie made up by the restaurant! To add they had about 3 items left on the menu and claimed to be sold out. Don't believe anything this place tells you. I contacted the company direct after this to give them a chance to make things better and they continued to go along with the lie , no apology nothing!

Date of visit: June 2020
1  Thank Natasha1232014
Reviewed 12 October 2020 via mobile

Who cares about the other clientele? When the food is this tasty, smiley service and good friendly atmosphere! I’m a regular and always will be. Thanks girls, and the guy who’s occasionally there! Keep it up.... from a customer with no fillers and Botox!

Date of visit: October 2020