“Lunch with Friends”

The Astronomer, Hungry Horse
Ranked #1 of 22 Quick Bites in Braintree
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Astronomer is part of the Hungry Horse pub brand, with an outstanding reputation for great sports viewing, a fantastic selection of drinks, value food and regular entertainment. The Astronomer is relaxed, easy-going and hospitable. What’s on the menu? All your family favourites! Whether you're in the mood for an all-day breakfast, beer and a burger, or fish and chips, you’ll find there’s plenty to tickle your taste buds on our menu.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Met a couple of friends here for lunch Monday afternoon, we all had the deal of the day which was steaks… alll cooked beautifully, the staff were all really welcoming and friendly

Date of visit: August 2021
Greene_K1ng, Owner at The Astronomer, Hungry Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Lovely to read your comments about your experience, I'll make sure to pass them on to the rest of the team.

Write a reviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

Lovely lunch at the Astronomer, Great Notley . We booked a table via the website with no problems. You do need to book the day before or at least a few hours before to avoid disappointment. Michelle was one of our waiters and she was very attentive. She asked if we would like the french doors open as it was warm Our food was really nice and big portions too. Michelle and the other waiter - I forgot to ask his name - made it an excellent experience by checking how we were and if we liked our food. Hungry Horse have saver type menus. We chose the Sunday fave of 2 meals for £13 though as three of us one meal was full price We didn’t have any alcohol but there is a reasonably priced drinks menu. We were too full to have dessert. Traditional pub food of fish and chips steak or gammon steak and chips amongst the menu choices with a kids menu as well. The tables and decor are clean and bright. We didn’t have to wait long for our food even though they advised it might take about half hour. There is a tv there and the footy was on but no sound. We had fish and chips, chicken New Yorker and a double bacon burger with fries plus soft drinks. My son works in another greene king pub so his staff discount was applied to the bill. It would have cost us around £30 without discount. All in all a very good lunch and will visit again.

Date of visit: August 2021
Greene_K1ng, Manager at The Astronomer, Hungry Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2021

Reviewed 8 August 2021 via mobile

Visited The Astronomer in Braintree today 8/08/21 with family for the first time in quite some time. Always visited on a fairly regular basis and a majority of the time the food has been pretty good however today wasn't so great. We all had a roast dinner and unfortunately the beef wasn't great at all. Now I know you get what you pay for but my partners meat was disgusting,we asked for it to be changed it they did so straight away but it still wasn't very good. Almost all of our food was cold or Luke warm. Normally I would have sent it back but I didn't want to make a fuss in front of my in laws who were meeting my mum for the first time. Not a good impression lol! It was there first visit there and they were very polite about there meals but it was very disappointing for me and my partner because we chose to go there.
It won't stop me going back but I really won't be ordering a roast again that's for sure.

A bill of nearly £70 ( with drinks obviously) in my eyes down the drain.

Disappointing indeed.

Date of visit: August 2021
Greene_K1ng, Manager at The Astronomer, Hungry Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2021

I'm so sorry we've not been able to meet your expectations on this occasions, but please do give us a try again as this is not our usual standard

Reviewed 3 August 2021

came out for a lovely family meal such lovely food, cheap and cheerful, michelle was our waitress lovely friendly happy lady and just made it a lovely atmosphere, will defo be returning!!

1  Thank emilybeadellXo
Greene_K1ng, Manager at The Astronomer, Hungry Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2021

Hi Emilybeadellxo, great to hear you enjoyed your visit to our pub. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2021

Food is always really nice and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly always go above and beyond our expectations

1  Thank rodgerj941

Thank you so much for your positive comments about our pub, have a great day!