“Fabulous Pub ”

Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Pevensey
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a traditional village pub opposite the historic Pevensey Castle. We have a large walled beer garden, with children's play area. Stop by and have a relaxing drink, light bite or full meal in our cosy restaurant or garden. Dogs and children welcome.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This Pub has now become our go to place for our family time. Simon and Karen the owners, are without doubt, the most welcoming of hosts. The outstanding family friendly atmosphere of this pub will keep us coming here for many years ahead. The food is just amazing, cooked by Chefs that are visibly passionate about delivering high quality cuisine to your table. The menu is fantastic, and the service from Will is admirable. We love coming here as a family, to drink, eat and even be entertained by the regular entertainment and music nights. As parents of three children, we are always accommodated. On one very noticeable occasion, Simon the owner, went above and beyond duty to ensure we could all be sat together, on a table, during a particular busy Easter evening. We can not fault this pub, it offers us the perfect place to be as a family. To eat fine, freshly cooked food, drink and feel relaxed that we are welcomed as a family. Simon, Karen and Will obviously work very, very hard to ensure this is a gem of a pub, that is sited in an amazing location being adjacent to the Castle. It offers everything you would want and expect, including an amazing level of friendly service. We cannot recommend this pub enough, the perfect venue for quality family time. A huge big “Thankyou” to Simon, Karen and Will.

2  Thank FABJB
IdoGolf, Owner at Royal Oak and Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Many thanks FABJB
We really do enjoy our pub. It's fair to say that we are completely smitten with it.
The people, like yourselves, who come as our guests make it all the better.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Simon & Karen (Owners)

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Booked a family meal, tables were split so we couldn’t enjoy the celebrations together. Food awful, what we ordered wasn’t right so had to send it back.
No tomato sauce!!
The excuse was it’s been a busy 4 days??? Sorry that’s a VERY POOR EXCUSE

2  Thank L0ndonSE1
IdoGolf, Owner at Royal Oak and Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

What a nerve!!!

We have a very unusually shaped pub that prohibits large parties on a single table. This was explained IN ADVANCE to your party leader who, incidentally, said they enjoyed their visit immensely.

I personally came out to your table to apologise for a very small mistake that was very quickly rectified. Not only that, without being asked, I reduced your cost for the item concerned by 50%

EVERY single member of your party said a warm thank you as you left. You included!!!.

No tomato sauce!!! COBBLERS, we had buckets of it and your table had plenty.

My wife (Co Owner) spoke to you personally and asked if all was OK. You replied Yes and your plate was empty!!!

Your party left a £10 tip. Your review, after my visit and reduction and my wife's interaction with you is nothing but spiteful and WAY over the top.
Please DO NOT return.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We visited here as a family and they were very welcoming of children and the dog. The menu had a variety of choices and the food was excellent. We also enjoyed the atmosphere and the decor was quirky and interesting. The pub is much more than a typical village pub and the staff were friendly and polite towards us. There was also even Free Wi-Fi which was fast to use.
I would highly recommend this pub to anyone looking for a nice place to eat whilst in Pevensey, especially families with a dog.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

I stopped here for lunch with my sister and 4 dogs. The food was fine and the service friendly. The cappuccino was nice and the baguette we shared was delicious.
However the table was filthy and obviously hadn’t been cleaned from the night before. When I mentioned this to the server, a rather pathetic attempt was made to clean it. There was only one person we could see serving behind the bar and he was obviously very busy though was doing his best.

IdoGolf, Owner at Royal Oak and Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

I'm really sorry that your table had not been cleaned. We will rectify that as of now.
We have some new staff starting any day now as we have been a little light through the winter.

We're delighted your food and service was right. We will ensure that your table experience is NOT repeated.

Simon & Karen
(Owners)

Reviewed 23 March 2018

I had heard that the food was good quality and my wife and I visited on a quiet Thursday early evening on the off-chance. We found a wide choice of menu using local produce and freshly cooked. Plaice for my wife and Steak and Ale pie for me. Both were good choices, though perhaps chips with both dishes were a slight disappointment. However, they were very reasonable priced. Food was served very promptly. The choice of real ale was limited but both sampled were of good quality. I would certainly recommend

Thank you for your kind feedback.
I'd be interested to know what was wrong with the chips. We do have a good quality product here and I'm concerned when it's not right.
We are adding another real ale just prior to the Easter weekend. Through the winter, we just can't move enough to justify more than two.
Now that the clocks are going forward and the Easter Weekend will kick start the greater footfall, three Real Ales is a GO.

Simon (Co Owner)