“Lovely set menu”

Essen Modern Austrian
Ranked #10 of 38 Restaurants in Stanthorpe
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was a lovely little restaurant off the high road in a little house. The menu is set and you can choose whether you have entree and main or main and dessert. I am a vegie and they catered for me by giving me a salmon instead of the chermoula chicken. The fig and goats cheese salad was delightful and everything was so fresh and tasty with herbs from the garden. You can check with them for the latest menu as it changes regularly.

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (25)

Reviewed 16 March 2021

I thought I had completed this review back in September when we visited but for some reason it didn't post. Finishing it off now reminded me of the outstanding experience we had at this delightful restaurant.

If you're visiting Stanthorpe, make sure you put Essen on top of your list. It was hands down our best dining experience during our stay.

As a proud restaurant owner myself, I am constantly in search of memorable, authentic dining experiences. At Essen, this is certainly what we got. There's a lot of love in what Clarissa and Claudia do and it shows.

The six of us had dinner at the family table and really loved the back story. Each generous and tasty course was beautifully presented and we all left extremely satisfied.

So ladies, thanks for inviting us into your special place. I do hope to get back again one day.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 13 March 2021 via mobile

A fabulous experience enjoying the best of local seasonal produce. The menu changes regularly, and it's fixed rather than a myriad of choices. This made our experience al the more enjoyable. Staff were friendly, chatty and very professional. Loved the entire evening. Thankyou.

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 6 March 2021

beautiful place, wonderful food.. The service team is very very nice and friendly. Our three courses menu was delicious. Not easy to find another place like this

Date of visit: March 2021
Reviewed 16 January 2021 via mobile

This was our favorite meal in the 5 days in Stanthorpe. We went for the 5:30 seating, and chose to have all 3 courses plus the salad. Each course was a delight. Stracciatella with prosciutto, peach, green tomato and basil to start. Exquisite! Garnished with fresh leaves from the garden. The chicken dish was amazing, flavored with lemon, brown butter and capers. Dessert was crepes. We took a 2008 red BYO from our cellar and corkage was very reasonable. The menu is set, so if you have dietary restrictions be sure to let them know. My husband and I could not have been happier with the food and appreciated the care put into each course, and the welcoming service enhanced the evening. We will go back next time we are in the area, and will cherish the memory of the exceptional flavors until then.

Date of visit: January 2021