“Trekk from Langsett to the Upper Derwent Valley and back again.”

Visitor Centres - Upper Derwent
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Bamford
Reviewed 4 April 2018

In the past I have visited the village of Langsett and I have walked round the reservoir with its gentle very pleasant three or four mile walk and I have also visited the Upper Derwent Valley as far as Margery Hill but I hadn’t until recently trekked from Langsett to the upper Derwent Valley by the paths over the moors from above Langsett reservoir. One Sunday; after the recent snow had more or less melted, I found myself at the Yorkshire Water car park just above the Waggon and Horses at Langsett reservoir, with two of my regular trekking companions. The car park is currently free, good old Yorkshire Water. We set off along the well-appointed path along the north side of Langsett reservoir to the point where the little bridge spans the Porter of Little Don river. There is a weir at this point on the river which seems to have recently seen the construction of what looks like a fish pass. We entered the Porter of little Don and followed the river to the waters meet where the little beck from Bradshaw Clough joins the main river having passd the solar panel and fish counter on the main river further down. This area looks extremely remote though it isn’t that far from the main Woodhead Pass road. The terrain however, is extremely rough and the paths are not very clear. We trekked into the clough heading towards the upper Derwent Valley but there really isn’t that much of a path if any and we criss crossed the beck and I managed to fall in getting rather wet, though my camera was fortunately spared but I did manage to split the end of my thumb. After first aid from a colleague we pressed on but decided the going was getting a bit rough so we climbed up the edge of the ridge to join the main path coming over from above Langsett reservoir. Trekking over the moors to cut gate end just below Margery Hill. We at that point set off across the moors to near Crow Stone Edge where we looked for an air wreck that a friend had once shown me in the past but as there are no clearly marked paths and as time was marching on we decided to abandon the search near the rocking stone and we eventually dropped down to the Pack Horse Bridge over the infant river Derwent in the Upper Derwent Valley just above Kings Tree. We continued around the lower West End Valley to Howden reservoir and on to the Derwent reservoir, before turning around about half way to the dam as the day was getting on, retracing our steps back to The Pack Horse Bridge. We then ascended to just below Margery Hill at the cairn at the end of the path from Langsett at Cut Gate. There isn’t any gate there nowadays but there may have been one at one time, though there is a cairn at the end of the path. We then trekked back towards Langsett. The path at the top end is very rough and full of peat bogs and I managed to fall into one. We then retraced our steps back to the car park at Langsett reservoir. As by this time it was getting late and I resembled a rutting stag having fallen in a peat bog it was decided we would forego the delights of the Wagon and Horses until a later date. All in all, an eventful day. This trekk is over some very rough terrain.

All reviews
"peak"
"fairholmes"
"walks"

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

£4.50 to park all day free for disabled, beautiful little area ,plenty of parking , visitors centre, bike hire, toilets, cabin to buy food and drinks which is well stocked and reasonable prices, feed the ducks check out the nature walk .. great place to park in going around the dam

Reviewed 31 January 2018

It is quite a walk around the Derwent Dams but there are trails which will suit every age and ability. Cycle hire in the summer and lots of places to have a picnic. Very handy just to see the dams. Not sure why drones are banned - there was one being flown anyway...

Reviewed 30 January 2018

The visitor centre is situated within a short walk of the dam and has a tourist shop. refreshments and toilets as you would expect
There is a nature area there and a large population of resident ducks.