“Saw 12 tortugas!”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$89.00*
and up
Half Day Akumal Bay Sea Turtle Snorkeling and...
Ranked #10 of 28 Outdoor Activities in Akumal
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We were surprised by the new five dollar fee to get on the beach and mandatory Hiring of a guide…$15 (or 300 pesos) per person fee to hire a guide and to use the snorkel gear, however it was well worth it… Our guy was super sweet and nice and took us right where the turtles were and we were lucky enough to see 12! We also saw the biggest scariest barracuda, as well as several stingrays and other types of fish however the turtles were the thrill of a lifetime! The key is to go first thing in the morning or later in the evening when there are fewer people, the more people there kicks up the sand and makes it hard to see anything and the turtles move out of the area

All reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 6 reviews
"cancun area"

Reviewed 9 February 2018

If this was just a beach I would have no problem recommending it with five stars, but this is a beach with a hidden population of precious turtles. My personal opinion is that this haven for the turtles will be irradiated within a couple of years if the authorities don’t stop the Tour companies from offering Akumal as a day trip venue.

Every day hoards of tourists are hauled into Akumal Beach to snorkel on the reef and to admire the fish and perhaps glimpse a turtle. They are brought in droves off cruise ships in Cancun, neighbouring hotels and from other tourist venues along the Riviera Maya. This must be controlled and quickly as the reef is already dead and the turtles are retreating from the waters during “tourist hours”.

I was staying on the beach at the Akumal Bay resort, a tourist myself, but I was fortunate enough to see many, many turtles before the arrival of the snorkelling tours each morrning and after their departure in the evenings. Sightings during the day were few and far between, a telling fact that the turtles vacate their feeding grounds throughout the daytime.

The shallow Bay was inundated with large, organized groups of people all swimming out to see the marine life and stomping on the reef. Stop these organized invasions and perhaps the bay will rejuvenate and the wildlife will be spared.

3  Thank Footsloggers
Reviewed 16 January 2018

Akumal Bay is amazing. Such diverse wildlife so close to the shore. This makes it ease for anybody to enjoy respectfully.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

My last visit was 7 or so years ago when the bay was relatively quiet and the beach not that developed. Now every inch is taken up by hotels or restaurants, bars and stores. The beach is crowded and you will be inundated with people trying to sell you something from the moment you get to the parking lot. If your coming to snorkel you can rent a locker for $7 USD at the Dive shop (go left when you get to the beach). You can then snorkel in front of the Hotels at the public beach. Everyone will tell you you need a life jacket to snorkel (you do not as long as you go in front of the hotels) the area to the left of the fishing boats is for snorkel tours only and require a tour guide and life jacket. You don’t need this. You will see turtles, barracuda, rays, fish, coral all off the public beach. Enjoy

5  Thank Jon C
See more reviews
Reviewed 24 December 2017

Went to the bay and had a really great lunch at Lol Ha. Because we were customers we got access to convenient parking and the beach. The view was pretty, but there are now so many buoy lines in the water it's visually distracting and access to the water is confusing. We swam in the designated, small, NO snorkeling area and were approached by the 'turtle police' on kayaks each time we came close to the buoy lines. We never got within 5 feet of the line or tried to 'make a break for it', so I found it a bit annoying. No one is allowed to head out to the reef to snorkel without paying for a tour. One operator quoted me $45 per person, but I didn't shop around. You must use their equipment, wear a life vest, stay with their guide and you get 1 hour total. I'm all for saving the turtles, but I'd feel more confident in their intentions if they just shut down snorkeling instead of seeming to try and make a buck. We'll be back for the food and the view, but will be looking for new swimming and snorkeling options. I don't know if it's true, but the operator told me they only allow 145 people out a day? If you want to make the trip to see the turtles, you might want to check on that so you're not disappointed.