Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
8,178 results
All reviews sushi bar akumal bay one man band beach manager paddle boarding fidelity club lobby bar yoga studio fish gourmet restaurant the penthouse sea turtles jacuzzi on the balcony main pool activities staff brazilian steakhouse stayed in building
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 March 2021

My "Framily" and I stayed at Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort for 10 days and had the best time ever. We have traveled together for over 10 years to the Caribbean and this resort has the best staff we have ever had. The resort is beautiful and the beach is breath taking, There is no need to leave the resort since you can snorkel or dive every day. Thank you to all the staff for all of your hard work and your hospitality...you always go above and beyond! A special thanks to Kevin, Patricia, Gorge, Wilburt, Oscar, Adiel, Mariel, Araceli, Juan, Jesus, Otilio, Leonardo, Adriana and Carlos for making our stay so much fun! We already booked to come back February 2022!

Room tip: All of the rooms have a great view of the ocean. We prefer the 2nd or 3rd floors.
4  Thank CaribbeanBeachBums
Reviewed 22 February 2021

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to ABBWR and are already planning our second visit. This is the highest compliment given that we travel often and have visited many tropical destinations including Jamaica, DR, Puerto Rico, Cabo, Turks & Caicos, and many more. This is the only resort that we have felt the need/desire/necessity to return to. The beach is picture-perfect, the service is impeccable, the rooms are well kept, and the staff is so friendly. I particularly wish to recognize Corinna, Public Relations Manager, for taking such good care of us. She was prompt in her responses to me prior to our arrival regarding COVID testing - which is scheduled and performed efficiently onsite. She was also able to get us a great rate to extend our stay due to weather conditions back home. We can't wait to return to ABBWR, our home in PARADISE.

2  Thank Beachlifeisgreat
Reviewed 22 February 2021 via mobile

My fiancé and I visited Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness resort 5 years ago for the first time, and we knew we would be back. It was spectacular. Well, not much has changed. We were just as wowed this time around! The rooms are just gorgeous, all with a gorgeous ocean view, balcony, and jacuzzi tub. The beaches are beautifully kept, and paddle boarding is a must try! The instructors are amazing. The coral reefs right off the resort make for great snorkeling experiences. The food is incredible and the variety of choices is outstanding, truly all inclusive. By far the most incredible part of Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness resort are their staff though. Each and every staff member is so sweet, friendly, and go so far out of their way to ensure your every whim is met. Although every single staff person is amazing, Carlos, Randy, and Ducele made our trip extra special. Covid testing is offered on site for a very reasonable fee and was very efficient, and the staff take Covid precautions extremely seriously, all wearing masks and sanitizing constantly after guests are finished using community items. I could write a novel about how much I love this resort, and I know we will be coming back for years to come! Thank you for such a wonderful trip yet again!

3  Thank cassidygalante
Reviewed 21 February 2021

We just returned from a nine day anniversary celebration vacation at the Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort (ABBWR). We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed this resort. We’ve already decided to return in the future to continue experiencing the magic of ABBWR. This place is as special as everybody describes it to be. Five Stars! Continue reading if you need to know more…

Our stay at ABBWR marked the 6th time we’ve stayed at an All-Inclusive Resort in Mexico as a family or as a couple. Here’s the list for prospective: Dreams-PVR, Barcelo-Playa Del Carmen, Riu-Cabo, Marquis-Los Cabos (twice) and most recently Akumal Bay Wellness Resort & Spa.

If I had to pick a favorite, I would have to put ABBWR and The Marquis in a tie for the top spot. They are both excellent but it’s hard to compare them because they are both so different. If you’ve been to the Tulum/Akumal area and the CSL/Los Cabos area then you know what i’m talking about. It’s hard to compare tropical jungle resort to warm weather dry desert by-the-sea resort.

The service at ABBWR was as good as it gets. They’ve assembled an amazing staff across all departments. A special thanks to Emanuele with the seamless reservation process, Corinna in Guest Services and all her help with special spa reservations and setting up a smooth COVID-19 test. We were so impressed with the professional level of service and the overall desire by all to make sure we were having a relaxing vacation especially Manager Carlos (“whatever you need-please let me know immediately”), bartender Willbert (“Why not, you’re on vacation”) and bartender Erick who enthusiastically created many special drinks during a celebration dinner with our closest friends. We had amazing dining service from Leandro (Kooben) , Enrique (Alux) , Adrianna, Jesus, Juan, Alejandro, Elias, Ricardo, the Akumal Restaurant Manager Juan and especially the breakfast/lunch hostess Iris.

The food at ABBWR was excellent. We were especially impressed with the creativity and presentation of so many wonderful dishes. I had a beef tenderloin main course at Kooben that I can easily say was one of the best I’ve ever had. There were several other nice surprises including the wood fired pizza which was as good as anything available back home. We also enjoyed the grilled fresh fish tacos, fish ceviche, the lamb dish at Alux and the poolside sushi.

The breakfast buffet was also very good and had a nice variety including made to order omelettes that were so delicious. Thanks to Aurora for your morning hospitality and especially the lovingly made Huevos Rancheros each morning. We also loved the fresh fruit, baked chocolate croissants, smoked salmon and, of course, our extra strong americano with a splash of Irish Creme goodness.

Is there room for improvement with the food? Sure, but I’m being picky now because nothing is perfect although ABBWR is trying to be the first to find it. We ordered a pizza and my wife asked if they could add ground italian sausage. She ended up with a pizza with blue cheese and chopped hot dogs..:) Could have been a translation issue and they were happy to fix the problem. Also, my wife and I enjoy red wine with dinner especially since ABBWR was serving amazing beef dishes in Kooben and Alux. The included Cabernet from Spain was just acceptable (and I would NOT consider myself to be a wine snob) but to make matters worse they kept serving it ice cold. It took a few nights of polite communication but the wait staff finally figured out that their own wine was much better once served at room temperature and allowed to breath a little. Again, just being picky, we were extremely happy with the overall food experience and look forward to returning to try new menu items.

A few other suggestions would be to add fresh fish tacos, ceviche and nachos with real cheese to the poolside snack-bar menu-time to get rid of the processed cheese spread on the nachos.

We really loved the nice touch of a welcome cocktail and appetizer at all the restaurants. I would also like to say that the desserts at ABBWR were the best we’ve had in Mexico. You must try the chocolate lava cake with banana ice cream! Yum!! There were several other good dessert options as well including cheese cakes, tortes and a coconut dish that our coconut loving friend really enjoyed.

The entire resort grounds were immaculate and perfectly maintained. The tropical wood raised walkways to building one & two looked like something you would find in Disney Land. ABBWR has an army of hard working people that keep the property and beach clean and beautiful. Everywhere we went at all hours, we would see resort employees trimming, fixing, cleaning and maintaining. We absolutely loved the relaxed tropical feel of ABBWR and took great pleasure just walking around the result admiring the beautiful location.

Our room (1312) was clean, spacious and had a beautiful few of the beach. The decor was in good condition and the housekeeping staff did a fabulous job keeping our room nice for nine days. It wasn’t the most luxurious room we’ve ever stay in but I would still rate it as upscale. We did experience a problem with the air conditioning. When we arrived, the room was on the cold side (19 degrees C) but we were ok with that because it was a nice relief from the outdoor heat and we sleep well in a colder room. By our third night, the A/C couldn’t keep the room at the comfort level we were used to anymore. We let the front desk know about the issue and also learned that other guest were experiencing the same issue. The problem was partially solved. The A/C was working but would stop cooling once it got to 21 degrees C. After a day in the sun, this temperature still felt refreshing but at night, the room could have been a little cooler.

There’s plenty of great activities to enjoy at ABBWR. Our favorites were snorkeling (right in front of the resort), swimming with the turtles and eagle rays (go early), yoga with Barbara (she’s amazing with beginners) and long walks on the beach. We also tried the Spin class and had a great workout. As a suggestions, it might be time to invest in a few new bikes and keep them covered when not in use. The gym had a nice selection of equipment and I was able to get a few good workouts in.

My wife and a friend enjoyed a few days at the SPA. The SPA facility was relaxing and beautifully integrated into the surrounding jungle with a secluded tropical theme. My wife absolutely loved her facial by Itzel and her massage by Martha was very relaxing.

Overall, Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness easily earned a five star review from us and we are excited to return next year to celebrate another anniversary.

5  Thank mikeo92
Reviewed 20 February 2021 via mobile

Much already has been said about this hotel’s resort features. Yes, much of the service is excellent. The beach is postcard perfect. The cuisine is first-rate. The food is not only delicious but plated so artistically that’s it’s difficult ‘breaking’ the zen-like arrangement of the ingredients! The grounds are pristine and welcoming, even as you are startled by the occasional strolling iguana or fleeing agouti.

What I didn’t expect but warmly welcomed was the “wellness” aspect of the resort. I came here specifically for snorkeling, but alas, the wind was too strong for a number of days for me to fully enjoy the array of rainbow fish close to the shore. That’s how I got to try out the resort’s other offerings. The water aerobics classes with Marielle and Jorge were high energy and exhilarating. And just before dusk, the Meditation class with Hiram not only centered my breathing but my entire well-being. Peace in the time of the pandemic.

I didn’t give a five-star review because upon my arrival at the hotel at 1 am, I literally had a rude awakening with a curt and hostile receptionist ( fortunately, most of the other staff members were friendly and solicitous). Many thanks to Corinna for setting things right and dispelling the dismal unwelcoming first encounter.

2  Thank tw92
Akumal Bay Resort, Owner at Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2021

Dear tw92,

We thank you for the kind comments, we are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Thanks to comments like yours, which are very important and constructive, we are able to identify opportunity areas where to improve and provide better service; our priority is to make you feel like at home and to exceed our friends expectations all the time.

We would also like to invite you to take advantage of our promotion 2x1 available for traveling between now and the end of 2025, more info via our official email contacts.

Looking forward to seeing you again anytime soon.

Warm regards,