“Total rip off, don´t do it!”

Turtle Snorkeling in Akumal
Book In Advance
More Info
US$114.99*
and up
Turtle Snorkeling Adventure from Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the amazing experience of swimming and seeing the Green Turtles all year in Akumal, our environmental friendly tour is also for first timers, no previous experience needed, you just decide to come and we will assure you have one of the most fascinating experiences ever!
Reviewed 29 March 2018

We went there to snorkel with the turtles two days ago. Apparently they recently closed all public access areas to the beach, so now the cheapest way to get there is through the dive shop which charges 100 pesos just so you can actually get to the beach. Once you´re in, you can either snorkel in the shallow water where you´ll obviously not see any turtles, or you can pay 30 dollars for entry+ "guided tour". The tour takes 20 mins and you´ll swim in a group with around 15 other people. They will also try to make you rent a life west which they claim is required, which it is not.
Apart from that there are tons of algae on the beach and in the water and the visibility wasn´t good either - but those might be temporary problems.

5  Thank lenaxo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"playa del carmen"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We have gone to turtle bay in Akumal many times for free. About 4 weeks ago the hotels started charging $5 dollars to enter. If you want to swim in the turtle preserve you now must go with a guide. This will cost up to $37 per person. I was met by sales men outside the entrance who were rude and almost attacking when we left. The locals are upset with the hotels because they feel they will lose business, which is true. I won’t go back.
This was the first time I have ever experienced such rudeness in Mexico. I know they can be pushy but it was way over that!

4  Thank gmw
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Such a privilege to be able to swim where the turtles feed. A genuinely fascinating experience.
Visited a cenote before in a cave, v cold water, but exhilarating.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

I went to Akumal bay today to see turtles and fish. I have been going here for last 5 yrs. Today the free entrance to Federal free beach was blocked by private signs and they even had a ticket booth to go to beach. 100 pesos , I refused to pay , I knew the beach was free Federal zone. so I looked around and next door to ticket booth was a dive shop. I just ventured into dive shop door and out the back no problem. My wife who is Mexican asked some guides what the deal. They say the president of Mexico and friends saw a way to make more money, illegal yes. So if you go just go threw dive shop or hotel, act like you want info about diving or hotel if stoped, then say thanks keep waking, If we all don't say some thing next yr. it will go to 200 pesos. I did see turtles and filmed a few for free.

9  Thank spencer20122017
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 March 2018

We had been lead to believe, from a number of sources, that it is possible to walk onto the beach, into the water and swim with the turtles. The truth is that you can't do that. The beaches now have fully controlled access for which you have to pay. Access to the beach alone is 100 pesos and swimming is an additional 500 pesos. We chose not to do that today and have booked a tour through our hotel which we are doing tomorrow. Look for the follow up review on that!

4  Thank Gilda146